June 10, 2011 (La Mesa) --The City of La Mesa will host its second annual Transportation and Mobility Expo for older adults and persons with disabilities on Wednesday, June 15, 2011. Supported by funding from SANDAG, the Expo will be held at the La Mesa Community Center, 4975 Memorial Drive, La Mesa 91942 from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm.
The Expo is a free event for older adults, adult children of aging parents and persons with disabilities who are interested in learning more about specialized transportation options, ADA paratransit services, vehicle adaptations, electric scooters, and other mobility equipment. The Expo offers “one-stop shopping” for adults facing life changes that affect their independence, can no longer drive and/or suffer chronic physical problems, and are looking for transportation and comfort options.
Guest speakers and presentations include, but are not limited to:
Richard L. Kohr, “Senior Ombudsman Services”, CA Department of Motor Vehicles
· Ahnileen Martinez, “We Need to Talk”, Interim Associate State Director, AARP
· Lisa Madsen, “Understanding and Applying for ADA Paratransit Services”, Metropolitan
· Dan Brand, Marketing Director, Yellow Cab, “Exploring the Ins and Outs of Successfully
· Judi Bonilla, City of La Mesa, “Travel San Diego by Bus, Trolley, and Coaster using Compass Card” (public transportation course)
· Latin and Ballroom dance demonstration by the Wheelchair Dancers (www.wheelchairdancers.org).
Shuttle service will be available from the La Mesa Blvd. trolley station, the parking area by the softball field at La Mesa Blvd. and Memorial Dr., and street or lot parking close to the La Mesa Adult Enrichment Center. Shuttles will be marked “Expo Shuttle”. For further information please call 619-667-1321