Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version Share this


By Miriam Raftery

Photo courtesy of ECM news partner 10 News

November 23, 2017 (La Mesa) – A fire on Thanksgiving morning caused $250,000 in damage to a home and its contents in the 3800 of Carbo Court in La Mesa.

According to ECM news partner 10 News, Karla Fierro and her boyfriend helped her three children escape the fire, along with their dog. With help from a neighbor, they also evacuated a paralyzed man whom her boyfriend is caretaker for. The disabled man and his caretaker were treated at a hospital for smoke inhalation.

Heartland Fire and Rescue units from La Mesa and Lemon Grove responded to the fire reported at 10:20 a.m., arriving within five minutes to find heavy smoke and fire coming from the two-story home’s garage.  A second alarm was issued, bringing more fire units.

Firefighters found the fire had spread from the garage into the house.  “The fire was contained within 30 minutes,” says Sonny Saghera, public relations officer for Heartland Fire and Rescue.

Error message

Support community news in the public interest! As nonprofit news, we rely on donations from the public to fund our reporting -- not special interests. Please donate to sustain East County Magazine's local reporting and/or wildfire alerts at to help us keep people safe and informed across our region.