County News Service
March 6, 2013 (San Diego)--Five more influenza deaths were reported last week, the County Health and Human Services Agency (HHSA) announced today. That brings the total this season to 48, the second highest on record.
HHSA also reported a decline in the percentage of emergency department patients with influenza-like-illness, as well as in the number of lab-confirmed flu cases.
January 16, 2013 (San Diego’s East County)--ECM World Watch helps you be an informed citizen about important issues globally and nationally. As part of our commitment to reflect all voices and views, we include links to a wide variety of news sources representing a broad spectrum of political, religious, and social views. Top world and U.S. headlines include:
- Obama to offer most comprehensive gun control in decades (Washington Post)
- Under Construction: The World's Largest Thermal Solar Plant (NPR)
- Can police use your silence against you? Supreme Court to decide. (CS Monitor)
- Computer Users Should Disable Java 7 Owing To Security Flaw, Experts Say (NPR)
- From Corn Belt To Main Street: The Drought's Far-Reaching Grasp (NPR)
- Widow sues psychiatrist in Colo. theater shootings (U-T San Diego)
- For energy solutions, 'think small' (+video)(Christian Science Monitor)
- 'Python Challenge' Asks Floridians To 'Harvest' Snakes (NPR)
- Northern Irish youths pelt Catholic church in latest "flag riots" (Reuters)
- U.S. Provided 'Technical Assistance' In Botched French Raid, Obama Says (NPR)
- Bad Even For Beijing: Smog Hits Extreme Levels (NPR)
- Shi'ite protests spread across Pakistan after killings (Reuters)
- Palestinian premier urges Arabs to pay pledged aid (U-T San Diego)
- Storm heightens crisis for Syrian refugees (Jerusalem Post)
- Preacher alarms many in Egypt with calls for Islamist vice police (Reuters)
- Women With A Berry-Snacking Habit May Have Healthier Hearts (NPR)
- UCSD team invents brain cell breakthrough (U-T San Diego)
- Flu reaches epidemic level in U.S.: CDC says (Reuters)
- Pap Test May Detect More Than Just Cervical Cancer (NPR)
- FDA requires sleeping pill makers to lower dosage (KXII)
- Diet drinks 'linked' to depression (BBC)
- Does lead poisoning make you violent? (BBC)
- U.S. Ranks Below 16 Other Rich Countries In Health Report (NPR)
- UC San Diego Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center Listed among Nation’s Best Heart Hospitals (Scoop San Diego)
Read more for excerpts and links to full stories.
October 6, 2011 (San Diego and East County) -- Sharp Healthcare announces a series of flu clinics in San Diego and East County. A $2 donation is suggested. Scroll down for details on locations. No appointments are necessary. These flu vaccination clinics are for seniors aged 60 and over, adults with chronic illness and family caregivers of older adults. Call 619-740-4214 for details.
For Flu vaccines (see "read more" below)