El Cajon City Council is accepting applications for five vacancies on the City’s newly created Veterans Commission.
The filing period opened April 24 and closes May 20 at 5:30 p.m. Interviews will be conducted May 28 at 7 pm. in Council Chambers, 200 Civic Center Way in El Cajon.
This commission will serve in an advisory capacity to the City Council and the City Manager; shall make recommendations to the City Council and the City Manager with respect to military veteran related issues, ceremonies, events and activities within the City; shall provide a forum for discussion of issues relating to military veterans; provide advice and assistance to City residents when requested regarding resources available to veterans’ spouses and dependents; and shall act as a conduit of communication and coordination between the local military veterans’ community and the City of El Cajon.
- One member must be a resident of El Cajon and be either an active US military service member or reservist.
- Two of the three members must be residents of El Cajon, be honorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces, and be active members of a 501(c)(19) veterans’ organization based within the City of El Cajon. One member can be a non-resident of El Cajon, and be honorably discharged from the US Armed Forces, but must be an active member of a 501(c)19 veteran’s organization based within El Cajon.
- One member must be a resident of El Cajon, and be honorably discharged from the US Armed Forces, but need not be an active member of a 501(c)(19) veteran’s organization based within the City of El Cajon.
Vacancies: Five Commissioners
Duration of Terms:
In accordance with El Cajon Municipal Code Section 2.24.050, initial terms on this newly created five-member commission shall be staggered so that there is one vacancy occurring each year for three years, and two vacancies in the fourth year. Terms will be as follows:
• One (1), One-Year Term to expire January 31, 2014
• One (1), Two-Year Term to expire January 31, 2015
• One (1), Three-Year Term to expire January 31, 2016
Applications are available in the City Clerk’s Office, First Floor City Hall, 200 Civic Center Way, El Cajon, CA 92020.
Downloadable, interactive application forms are available on the City website at www.cityofelcajon.us under “City Commission Openings” in the “What’s New” section of the home page. For further information please call the City Clerk’s Office: (619) 441-1763.