SDSU gets to 3-0 with solid 7-0 victory over the Highlanders
Photo courtesy goaztecs.com
January 27, 2019 (San Diego) - San Diego State women's tennis kept a blemish-free record following Sunday’s dual against UC Riverside with its 7-0 victory over the Highlanders. The win marks the first time the Aztecs have collected three straight 7-0 wins dating back to before the 1994 season.
The Aztec duos won two out of three doubles matches to claim the first point of the dual, first with senior Magda Aubets and sophomore Nnena Nadozie’s 6-3 decision over Hanh Pham and Lauren Wolfe. Junior Mia Smith and freshman Alicia Melosch also put together a 6-3 win over Mahli Silpachai and Natalie Shamma to claim the doubles point for SDSU, while senior Jenny Moinard and freshman Shakhnoza Khatamova dropped the top-seeded matchup vs. Tia Elpusan and Sara Khattab, 6-4.
In singles action, sophomore Abbie Mulbarger came out strong in the fifth seed against Pham, finishing off a 6-1, 6-0 win in the match. Moinard bounced back from her close loss in doubles play to put away UCR’s Lindsey Gelinas in two sets with a 6-1, 6-2 win. With a 3-0 advantage, freshman Agustina Rimoldi Godoy clinched the dual victory for the Scarlet and Black with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Khattab in the sixth seed.
Also logging dubs for the Aztecs on Sunday were Smith (vs. Elpusan, 6-3, 3-6, 11-9), Nadozie (vs. Silpachai, 6-3, 6-1) and Aubets (vs. Shamma, 3-6, 6-3, 10-8).
SDSU logs a third straight 7-0 win to begin the season, marking the first time the Aztecs have logged perfect scores in its first three duals dating back more than 25 years.
Now 3-0, the Aztecs continue a five-match homestand next weekend when they host Long Beach State on Friday, Feb. 1, and California on Saturday, Feb. 2.
San Diego State 7, UC Riverside 0
Jan. 27, 2019
Aztec Tennis Center
1. Tia Elpusan/Sara Khattab (UCR) def. Jenny Moinard/Shakhnoza Khatamova (SDSU) 6-4
2. Mia Smith/Alicia Melosch (SDSU) def. Mahli Silpachai/Natalie Shamma (UCR) 6-3
3. Magda Aubets/Nnena Nadozie (SDSU) def. Hanh Pham/Lauren Wolfe (UCR) 6-3
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
SDSU wins doubles point
1. Jenny Moinard (SDSU) def. Lindsey Gelinas (UCR) 6-1, 6-2
2. Mia Smith (SDSU) def. Tia Elpusan (UCR) 6-3, 3-6, 11-9
3. Nnena Nadozie (SDSU) def. Mahli Silpachai (UCR) 6-3, 6-1
4. Magda Aubets (SDSU) def. Natalie Shamma (UCR) 3-6, 6-3, 10-8
5. Abbie Mulbarger (SDSU) def. Hanh Pham (UCR) 6-1, 6-0
6. Agustina Rimoldi (SDSU) def. Sara Khattab (UCR) 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 5, 1, 6*, 2, 3, 4
* Match clinching dual