SDSU falls to 4-3 in Friday's dual match vs. the Blue Raiders
Photo courtesy goaztecs.com
March 8, 2019 (San Diego) - San Diego State women's tennis kicked off a seven-match homestand on Friday afternoon when it hosted, and ultimately fell 4-3 to, Middle Tennessee State. The Aztecs had the edge in doubles play, but faced tough matchups in singles action and eventually dropped the dual to the Blue Raiders.
The Scarlet and Black found their stride in doubles play as freshman Shakhnoza Khatamova and senior Jenny Moinard teamed up on court two to take down MT’s Kim Kermet and Luisa Zirilli, 6-4, while senior Magda Aubets and sophomore Abbie Mulbarger allowed the Aztecs to capture the doubles point with their 6-4 defeat over Lidia Burrows and Marta Peris Herrero.
In singles play, the Aztecs gave way in a couple early matches before putting points of their own on the board. In the four seed, Zani Barnard topped freshman Alicia Melosch, 6-3, 6-0, while MT’s Luisa Zirilli captured a 6-2, 6-3 decision against Aubets in the fifth seed. Sophomore Abbie Mulbarger’s 6-4, 6-2 win over Lee Bernard in the sixth seed to tie it up, two-all.
In the No. 3 match, sophomore Nnena Nadozie put together her fourth straight singles win with a 6-1, 6-4 performance against Kim Kermet, which was ultimately the final point of the day for the Aztecs. SDSU’s Moinard eventually dropped her three-set match, 6-2, 4-6, 6-3, to Constance Magazzini, and Khatamova fell late, 6-4, 5-7, 6-3, to Lidia Burrows.
Sophomore Nnena Nadozie records her fourth straight win in singles action.
The Aztecs, now 6-6 on the season, continue their March homestand on Sunday when they host Pacific for a noon match at the Aztec Tennis Center.
Middle Tennessee State 4, San Diego State 3
March 8, 2019
Aztec Tennis Center
1. Alicia Melosch/Nnena Nadozie (SDSU) vs. Constance Magazzini/Zani Barnard (MTS) 5-6, unfinished
2. Shakhnoza Khatamova/Jenny Moinard (SDSU) def. Kim Kermet/Luisa Zirilli (MTS) 6-4
3. Magda Aubets/Abbie Mulbarger (SDSU) def. Lidia Burrows/Marta Peris Herrero (MTS) 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 3
SDSU wins doubles point
1. Lidia Burrows (MTS) def. Shakhnoza Khatamova (SDSU) 6-4, 5-7, 6-3
2. Constance Magazzini (MTS) def. Jenny Moinard (SDSU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
3. Nnena Nadozie (SDSU) def. Kim Kermet (MTS) 6-1, 6-4
4. Zani Barnard (MTS) def. Alicia Melosch (SDSU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Luisa Zirilli (MTS) def. Magda Aubets (SDSU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Abbie Mulbarger (SDSU) def. Lee Barnard (MTS) 6-4, 6-2
Order of finish: 4, 5, 6, 3, 2, 1*
* Match clinching dual