Third-seed SDSU goes scoreless in title match to UNLV
Photo courtesy goaztecs.com
April 27, 2019 (San Diego) - Third-seeded San Diego State suffered a heartbreaking 4-0 loss to top-seeded UNLV in Saturday’s Mountain West Championship final. The Aztecs fell in two in doubles play, and despite getting close on one singles court, fell scoreless in singles play.
“Really proud of our team,” head coach Peter Mattera said. “I thought we had a great tournament, and really had a great season. UNLV was just a little bit too good today, and we hope they represent the conference well at the NCAAs. Really proud of our team and our effort, and our season.”
UNLV started hot in doubles competition, where Connie Li and Samantha Li overcame senior Jenny Moinard and junior Mia Smith, 6-3, in the second seed, while 74th-ranked Aiwen Zhu and En-Pei Huang topped sophomore Nnena Nadozie and freshman Alicia Melosch 6-3 in the top match to clinch the doubles decision.
In singles play, Moinard struggled early and was the first to tally a loss, dropping a 6-0, 6-1 decision to En-Pei Huang in the third slot. At the No. 5 position, senior Magda Aubets held her own early in the first set but ultimately gave it away in two, allowing Jovana Kenic a 6-2, 6-1 win to boost the Rebels to 3-0 overall.
The match was nearing a decision as Nadozie approached a potential deciding game in her second set, but MW Freshman of the Year Shakhnoza Khatamova ended up conceding a 6-3, 6-2 match to MW Player of the Year, No. 104 Aiwen Zhu, in the top match, sending the championship trophy home to Las Vegas.
THE NOTE I
The Aztecs cap the 2018-19 season with a 15-10, 3-1 MW record. This marks the first time the Aztecs have finished with a winning record since 2014-15.
 UNLV 4,  San Diego State
April 27, 2019
Aztec Tennis Center
1. #74 Aiwen Zhu/En-Pei Huang (UNLV) def. Nnena Nadozie/Alicia Melosch (SDSU) 6-3
2. Connie Li/Samantha Li (UNLV) def. Jenny Moinard/Mia Smith (SDSU) 6-3
3. Izumi Asano/Anna Bogoslavets (UNLV) vs. Magda Aubets/Abbie Mulbarger (SDSU) 3-5, unfinished
Order of finish: 2, 1
UNLV wins doubles point
1. #104 Aiwen Zhu (UNLV) def. Shakhnoza Khatamova (SDSU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Izumi Asano (UNLV) vs. Mia Smith (SDSU) 0-6, 6-3, 3-2, unfinished
3. En-Pei Huang (UNLV) def. Jenny Moinard (SDSU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Anna Bogoslavets (UNLV) vs. Nnena Nadozie (SDSU) 2-6, 2-5, unfinished
5. Jovana Kenic (UNLV) def. Magda Aubets (SDSU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Connie Li (UNLV) vs. Abbie Mulbarger (SDSU) 7-6 (9-7), 5-1, unfinished
Order of finish: 3, 5, 1*
* Match clinching dual