SDSU remains perfect in conference play
Photo courtesy goaztecs.com
April 5, 2019 (San Jose) - San Diego State women’s tennis captured their second Mountain West victory in Friday evening’s 4-1 match at San Jose State. Following a four-hour weather delay, the Aztecs topped the Spartans with solid performances in singles play.
Friday’s dual match, which was moved from a noon start to a 4 p.m. first serve due to inclement weather in the area, began with split successes between the two teams. The 77th-ranked duo of sophomore Nnena Nadozie and freshman Alicia Melosch proved dominant in the top seed, shutting down Savannah Sendar and Laura Malsert 6-1 but San Jose’s Miyo Kobayashi and Alba Pedrero Galindo captured a 6-3 win over senior Magda Aubets and Mia Smith in the No. 2 match to even the score. The doubles point came down to court three, where Spartans Tamara Culibrk and Klara Milojkovic ultimately edged out senior Jenny Moinard and freshman Shaknoza Khatamova 7-6 to earn the team’s sole point of the match.
In singles play, Melosch remained hot over SJSU’s Malsert, going 7-5, 6-1 in the fifth-seeded match to log the Aztecs’ first point of the day. Aubets, who played in the No. 4 position on Friday evening, put together a 6-2, 6-3 win over Sendar, while sophomore Abbie Mulbarger recorded her fifth straight singles win with a 6-4, 6-4 performance over Milojkovic in the six seed.
Friday’s match clinch came from Nadozie, who put away Pedrero Galindo with a 6-1, 6-4 victory in the No. 3 position, logging her 11th singles win of the season.
With wins in doubles and singles, sophomore Nnena Nadozie logs her 11th singles victory this season (11-4 overall) and is the only Aztec with a 4-0 record (doubles and singles) in conference play.
THE NOTE II
Sophomore Abbie Mulbarger earns a team-best fifth straight singles win with her decision in the No. 6 position tonight, and moves up to 11-4 on the season in singles play alongside classmate Nadozie.
San Diego State (11-7, 2-0 MW) continues its conference road trip when they play at Nevada this Sunday, April 7. First serve against the Wolf Pack is set for 11 a.m. and link to live results will be available on GoAztecs.com.
San Diego State 4, San Jose State 1
April 5, 2019
Spartan Tennis Complex (San Jose, Calif.)
1. #77 Alicia Melosch/Nnena Nadozie (SDSU) def. Savannah Sendar/Laura Malsert (SJSU) 6-1
2. Miyo Kobayashi/Alba Pedrero Galindo (SJSU) def. Magda Aubets/Mia Smith (SDSU) 6-3
3. Tamara Culibrk/Klara Milojkovic (SJSU) def. Shakhnoza Khatamova/Jenny Moinard (SDSU) 7-6
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
SJSU wins doubles point
1. Tamara Culibrk (SJSU) vs. Mia Smith (SDSU) 2-6, 7-5, 3-0, unfinished
2. Miyo Kobayashi (SJSU) vs. Shakhnoza Khatamova (SDSU) 3-6, 6-3, 2-2, unfinished
3. Nnena Nadozie (SDSU) def. Alba Pedrero Galindo (SJSU) 6-1, 6-4
4. Magda Aubets (SDSU) def. Savannah Sendar (SJSU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Alicia Melosch (SDSU) def. Laura Malsert (SJSU) 7-5, 6-1
6. Abbie Mulbarger (SDSU) def. Klara Milojkovic (SJSU) 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 5, 4, 6, 3*
* Match clinching dual