Photo courtesy goaztecs.com
February 15, 2019 (San Diego) - San Diego State women's tennis met a tough foe in Friday’s dual match against California, ultimately falling 7-0 to the Golden Bears. The Aztecs dropped its first doubles point of the season and could not string together singles victories to respond to the Bears.
The Aztecs shifted its normal doubles lineup Friday and ultimately snapped their streak of six straight wins in doubles action. Sophomore Abbie Mulbarger and freshman Agustina Rimoldi Godoy were the first duo to fall, dropping a 6-1 decision in the second seed to Cal’s Julia Rosenqvist and Hana Mraz. In the No. 1 seed, sophomore Nnena Nadozie and freshman Alicia Melosch crept up to a 5-2 advantage against 22nd-ranked Anna Bright and Jasie Dunk, but Olivia Hauger and Maria Smith’s 6-1 win over SDSU freshmen Aesha Patel and Ellie Ashley halted play on the first court as the Bears had clinched the doubles point.
Cal remained dominant in singles play to win all six matchups, first up on court No. 1 where No. 28 Hauger defeated senior Jenny Moinard 6-1, 6-0. Soon after, No. 92 Bright topped Mulbarger in a highly-contested match that ended at 6-2, 6-2. The clincher came on court three, where Katerina Stloukalova topped Melosch 7-5, 6-3.
The Aztecs finished up their remaining matches – No. 112 Smith defeated Patel 6-3, 6-0, #41 Rosenqvist topped Nadozie 6-2, 6-4 and Mraz finished 6-2, 6-4 over Rimoldi Godoy – to tally just their second loss of the season.
SDSU’s six-match streak of capturing the doubles point was snapped by Cal today.
The 5-2 Aztecs look ahead to Saturday, when they’ll face Arizona State. First serve against the Sun Devils is set for noon at the Aztec Tennis Center.
California 7, San Diego State 0
Feb. 15, 2019
Aztec Tennis Center
1. Nnena Nadozie/Alicia Melosch (SDSU) vs. #22 Anna Bright/Jasie Dunk (CAL) 5-2
2. Julia Rosenqvist/Hana Mraz (CAL) def. Abbie Mulbarger/Agustina Rimoldi (SDSU) 6-1
3. Olivia Hauger/Maria Smith (CAL) def. Aesha Patel/Ellie Ashley (SDSU) 6-1
Order of finish: 2, 3
CAL wins doubles point
1. #28 Olivia Hauger (CAL) def. Jenny Moinard (SDSU) 6-1, 6-0
2. #41 Julia Rosenqvist (CAL) def. Nnena Nadozie (SDSU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Katerina Stloukalova (CAL) def. Alicia Melosch (SDSU) 7-5, 6-3
4. #92 Anna Bright (CAL) def. Abbie Mulbarger (SDSU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Hana Mraz (CAL) def. Agustina Rimoldi (SDSU) 6-2, 6-4
6. #112 Maria Smith (CAL) def. Aesha Patel (SDSU) 6-3, 6-0
Order of finish: 1, 4, 3*, 6, 2, 5
* Match clinching dual