CHILD BITTEN BY RATTLESNAKE IN SPRING VALLEY; COUNTY REPORTS JUMP IN SNAKE SIGHTINGS

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version Share this

 

April 23, 2013 (Spring Valley)—A 5-year-old girl was bitten on the foot by a snake yesterday while playing in a grassy common area of a condo complex at 8700 Spring Canyon Road in the La Presa area of Spring Valley.  CAL FIRE/San Miguel Fire District firefighters responded to the call shortly before noon.  With help from residents, firefighters from Station 16 located and confirmed it to be a rattlesnake.

The child was transported to Sharp Grossmont where she is receiving anti-venom.  "She is doing well, according to the mother," Leonard Villareal with San Miguel Fire told ECM today.

San Diego County Animal Services indicated there was a huge jump in snake calls yesterday. As the weather warms up, the snakes become more active.

Animal Poison Control Center offers several tips to avoid chance encounters with snakes:

Keep your yard tidy by clearing away undergrowth, toys and tools that make great hiding places for snakes.

Keep walkways clear of brush, flowers and shrubs.

Clean up any spilled food, fruit or bird seed, which can attract rodents—and therefore snakes—to your yard.

When walking your pet, keep it on a leash.

Steer your pet clear of long grasses, bushes and rocks.

Snakes can strike across a distance equal to about half their body length. If you see a snake, head back the way you came.

Familiarize yourself with snakes that are common in your area. In the event of a bite, identifying the type of snake may help with treatment for yourself, your child, or your pet.