Enough electric resources have been secured to meet increased demand
August 28, 2017 (San Diego) – As triple-digit temperatures approach San Diego over the next several days, San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E) is sharing energy-savings tips to ensure customers have the latest tools and resources to make smart energy choices and save money. While SDG&E is operationally prepared to meet energy demand and there is no formal call for conservation at this time, SDG&E is reminding customers that making small changes to save energy can help avoid high bills caused by increased energy use.
“At SDG&E, we’ve been preparing for the past week to make sure the power grid continues to deliver clean, safe and reliable energy to customers when they need it the most,” said Katie Speirs, vice president of electric system operations for SDG&E. “Our meteorology team is forecasting extreme heat coupled with extreme fire conditions, so it’s important to remember to stay safe, stay hydrated and to take care of our elderly customers who might benefit from visiting a Cool Zone.”
Despite having adequate electric resources, conditions may change anytime due to unexpected situations that may be out of SDG&E’s control. With expectations that demand on the electric system may reach a new annual record-peak, the company is preparing for any potential issues that could arise with increased levels of field crews and personnel on standby to monitor the system and address any service interruptions quickly and safely.
SDG&E will be in close coordination with the California Independent System Operator (CAISO) to ensure the stable and reliable flow of power throughout the state. Additionally, CAISO has issued a “restricted grid maintenance” order, restricting all California utilities from taking any power lines or power plants offline for maintenance.
It is possible that SDG&E may need to call on customers to help reduce energy demand through conservation. Customers are encouraged to sign up for Reduce Your Use Rewards alerts to be notified if the program is activated during the heat wave. By signing up for alerts, customers will have the opportunity to earn a bill credit for saving energy on a Reduce Your Use Rewards day.
SDG&E offers the following tips, resources and solutions to help customers find smart ways to reduce their energy and save money:
- Use a ceiling or portable fan instead of A/C.
- Adjust your thermostat to 78° F or higher, health permitting.
- Use smart strips or unplug items when not in use.
- Replace regular light bulbs with compact fluorescent or LEDs.
- Change out a single speed pool pump to a variable speed one. SDG&E offers a $200 rebate on select models.
- Monitor your energy use. Go to My Account to check out the Energy Management Tool and sign up for energy alerts to receive email or text alerts when your energy use or spending goal reaches a certain limit.
- Find a Cool Zone. Help senior citizens and people with special needs comfortably escape mid-day summer heat and reduce their air-conditioning use, which helps save on energy costs. Find the nearest Cool Zone here.
- Visit sdge.com for more information on ways to save money every day.