Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version Share this

By Miriam Raftery

July 2, 2019 (San Diego) – Starting July 1st,  theDepartment of Motor Vehicles has 53 offices opening at  7 a.m., an hour earlier than previously, on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.  In San Diego County, this includes offices in El Cajon and Poway as well as city of San Diego locations in Clairemont and on Normal Street. View all locations with extended hours.

The DMV also now offers Californians service from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. every Saturday at 62 field offices throughout the state. Customers without an appointment are finding their visit time significantly reduced if they arrive after 2 p.m.


The extended hours are in part to help reduce long wait times tied to people applying to meet the federal government’s October 1, 2020 deadline for real ID driverslicenses.  After that date,  Americans will no longer be able to board airline flights in the U.S. without either a Real I.D. card or passport. You also won’t be able to visit a secure facility such as a military base, or buy guns or ammunition without a Real I.D. Read Real I.D. requirements here.


To apply for a REAL ID driver license or identification card, you must visit a DMV field office. You should plan aheadand make an appointment, since you must provide:

  1.  Proof of identity (one document) Example: an original or certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate, U.S. passport, employment authorization, permanent resident card or unexpired foreign passport with valid U.S. visa and approved I-94 form. No photocopies will be accepted.
  2. Proof of Social Security number (one document)  Example: a Social Security card, W-2 or paystub with full SSN. Original or certified copies are required. No photocopies will be accepted.
  3. Proof of California residency - street address. (Two different documents) Example: Utility or cell phone bill, rental agreement, mortgage statement or medical document. Photocopies accepted.


If your ID document shows a different name, you will need to provide a certified name change document such as a marriage license, divorce decree or court document. Multiple name change documents will be needed if your legal name has changed multiple times. The name on your Social Security document also must match your name change document. Original or certified copies are required. No photocopies will be accepted.

Error message

Support community news in the public interest! As nonprofit news, we rely on donations from the public to fund our reporting -- not special interests. Please donate to sustain East County Magazine's local reporting and/or wildfire alerts at to help us keep people safe and informed across our region.



It's about time!