By Kristin Kjaero
September 1, 2015 (La Mesa) – The delights of the summer are concluding to be supplanted by a rich selection of community offerings for fall. The final performances of the theater and concert season are joined by a variety of classes for every interest, a health fair, a craft fair, e-waste recycling, and outdoor nature and recreation activities galore.
LAMPLIGHTERS COMMUNITY THEATRE
- Lamplighters Community Theatre will be performing the comedy “Supporting Cast” from August 14 through September 13. For more details, click here.
LA MESA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
- FallFest Kickoff Party & Annual Meeting. Join the Chamber as it kicks off our new event, FallFest and elects and swears in its Board of Directors! The fun-filled event will be held at BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse with wine hosted by the Riviera Supper Club, Wednesday, September 16th, 2015 at BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse.
- Community E-Waste Recycling Event. The La Mesa Chamber of Commerce is hosting a free electronic waste (e-waste) recycling collection event on Saturday, September 19 & Sunday, September 20, 2015, 9:00 am to 4:00 pm in the parking lot of Grossmont Shopping Center between CHUZE Fitness and Fuddruckers.
- American Cancer Society Craft Fair. Join Grossmont Center Sep 12, 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. in supporting the American Cancer Society by shopping hand-made crafts from local vendors. All proceeds will go to the American Cancer Society’s Strides against Breast Cancer walk. Visit one of the booths throughout the center walkway from 11-2pm and any participating store to show your support.
- The Catillacs Live in Concert. Come to Grossmont Center, September 18 at 6:00 p.m. for a free concert featuring local Vintage rock and roll band, the Catillacs. Enjoy smooth ballads and Soul music from the 50’s, 60’s and early 70’s as you sing and dance the night away.
- Healthcare Saturday. Sep 26, 12:00 pm - 04:00 pm is free Healthcare Saturday at Grossmont Center, where over 30 health care and wellness providers will come together for free demonstrations, health screenings, work-out classes and the latest information on health-related techniques and products. Brought to you by the East County Chamber of Commerce. For more information on this event, please click here.
MT. HELIX PARK
- Power Yoga Classes held on Monday, Wednesday or Friday morning at 9 am taught by long-time instructor Rose Walters. The Yoga class is a drop-in donation based class for all levels so no registration is required.
LA MESA LIBRARY
- Click here for the Library's full September calendar.
- Monday – Lego and Scrabble Clubs, Math Homework Help.
- Tuesday – Morning Stretch, Baby Lapsit, Ebook Tutoring, Bilingual Storytime, Math Homework Help, Mindfulness Practice for Mental Wellness.
- Wednesday – Now We’re Talking!, Chess Club, Math Homework Help, Knitting Club, and PJ Storytime.
- Thursday – Preschool Yoga, Stories for Seniors, Crafts for ages 5-10, and Teen Book Club.
- Friday - Toddler Storytimes and Ebook Tutoring.
- Saturday - Introductory Computer Classes.
- Comic Lovers Book Club - Third Thursday of every month
- Bereavement Drop-In Support Group – First Tuesday of every month.
MISSION TRAILS REGIONAL PARK
- "Art Smarts" art classes for children and adults. Mission Trails presents this series of art classes for students of all ages looking to explore and express their unique creative process while having fun investigating different techniques and a variety of media. A registration fee is required; for details click here.
- September 5, 12:30 p.m. Beginners Class, ages 7-17: Sea Shells / Aqua
- September 5, 2:45 p.m. Avanced Class for ages 7 – adult: One & Two Point Perspective / Charcoal
- September 26, 12:30 p.m. Beginners Class, ages 7-17: Clown Fish / Aqua Pencils
- September 26, 2:45 p.m. Avanced Class for ages 7 – adult: Rendering in Still Life / Charcoal
- MRTP Foundation Free Concert Series. The MTRP Foundation Concert Series is free to the public and scheduled at 3:00 p.m. on designated Sundays in the Visitor Center Theater. Donations appreciated.
- Sep 06 - Peter Pupping, Guitarist
- Sep 20 - Carol Pelkner and Jim George - Marimba, Vibes, Clarinet and Flute
- "Nature Trails and Tales" for children 4 and up. Classes for budding young naturalists at 9:30 AM in the Visitor Center, that blend art and science with guided nature walks and classroom activities to discover nature’s wonders. Children will take a close look at the Park through stories, songs, inquisitive thinking, scientific investigations, trail activities, and artistic expression. More information and registration forms.
- September 15 Native Land, Native Nation
- September 29: Young Chaparralian
- Nature Walks – Saturdays, Sundays and Wednesdays. Mission Trails Regional Park offers a series of guided nature walks. For more information, check out their calendar here.
- San Diego Native American Flute Circle. The San Diego Native American Flute Circle players honor Native American music. On the second Sunday of each month, they hold a "Flute Circle" in the Mission Trails Regional Park Visitor Center's Outdoor Amphitheater from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m.
CITY OF LA MESA
- Live Well Workshop - Healthy Snacking - Sept 10. Join us for this free back-to-school healthy food demonstration. Make and sample some delicious and nutritious healthy snacks! [More Info]
- Summers at Six free concert series. The final performance of the season will be held on Sunday, September 27, 5:00 pm in the amphitheatre at Harry Griffen Park, 9550 Milden Street, La Mesa. The evening will feature performances by the San Diego Concert Band and Delta Music Makers. Bring a picnic and enjoy an evening outdoors relaxing to music in the company of friends.
- La Mesa Community Center. Aquatics, athletics, dance, summer camps, dog training are just some of the activities for all ages offered by the La Mesa Community Center, and classes and camps that start in August. Check out the full schedule here.
- La Mesa Adult Enrichment Center. Movies, dance, day trips and Bingo are just a few things in a broad range of individual and group services and activities for active mature adults, as well as access to many other community resources and agencies serving older adults. You can find them all in the AEC’s monthly newsletter.
- La Mesa Farmers Market. City of La Mesa Farmers Market, every Friday afternoon from 2pm - 6pm in the City Hall parking lot.
FOOD TRUCKS AROUND TOWN
- Best Buy Gathering every Tuesday from 5:30pm – 8:30pm at 8401 Fletcher Parkway, 91942.
- Food Truck Thursdays at Grossmont Center in front of Walmart Garden Center and Barnes & Noble, from Apr 02 - Nov 19 05:00 pm - 07:30 pm.
- Food Fest Fridays, 7871 University Ave, La Mesa from 5:30-8:00.
If you would like to see your community events listed in the La Mesa Community section, contact us.