By Miriam Raftery
August 17, 2018 (San Diego) – Language expert, author, columnist and radio personality Richard Lederer will be a special guest at our East County Fest 10-year anniversary party of the decade on Saturday night, August 25. (Tickets are going fast! Get tickets and learn more.)
In addition to speaking and signing copies of his latest books, Lederer has generously donated two special auction prizes – an entertaining and educational appearance by Lederer for your group, and a poker lesson by Lederer, whose skills enabled his two children to become world and national poker champions.
Lederer is the author of 50 books about language, history, and humor, including his best-selling Anguished English series and his current books, Amazing Words, Lederer on Language, and The Joy of Names. He is a founding co-host of “A Way With Words” on KPBS.
Dr. Lederer’s syndicated column, “Lederer on Language,” appears in newspapers and magazines throughout the United States, including the San Diego Union-Tribune. He has been named International Punster of the Year and Toastmasters International’s Golden Gavel winner.
AUCTION ITEMS: BID TO BRING RICHARD LEDERER TO YOUR NEXT SPECIAL OCCASION:
LEDERER ON LANGUAGE. Language author and columnist Dr. Richard Lederer, U-T language columnist, will come to your home, supper club, book club, child’s school, house of worship, local library, service club, supper club, or business to present whatever program of language learning and fun you wish.
POKER 101. As the father of Howard “The Professor” Lederer and Annie Duke, “The Princess of Poker,” Richard Lederer is the most successful breeder of world-class poker players in history. Dr. Lederer will instruct you in the fundamentals of the great American game of Texas Hold’em.
THE JOY OF NAMES
Almost everyone on earth has a name. In The Joy of Names, best-selling language author Richard Lederer reveals all you need to know about first names, baby names, last names, nicknames, cruel and unusual names, movie stars' names, presidents' names, eponymous names, names from myths, authors' pseudonyms, and other fascinating facts about names.
In The Joy of Names you'll find the answers to such questions as:
· What are the oldest names we have on record?
· What are the most popular baby names and why are baby names diversifying so rapidly?
· What are the most common ways that we form last names?
· How did Sarah become Sadie, William Bill, Robert Bob, and Richard Dick?
· How do nicknames come about and why are sports nicknames disappearing?
· Why do so many entertainers take on stage names?
· Can a person's name influence what he or she becomes?
· Do animals use names?
And much more. Richard Lederer, who is often called "Learning Dressed Up to Have Fun," makes all these topics delightfully accessible. The illustrations by Todd Smith help bring the information to vibrant life.
Read more or contact Richard Lederer at www.verbivore.com
BOOK LOVERS: MEET ALL OF THESE AUTHORS SIGNING AND SELLING BOOKS AT #EASTCOUNTYFEST!
- Richard Lederer has sold over a million copies of his 50 books on language, history, and humor, including his best-selling Anguished English series and his current books, The Joy of Names, The Gift of Age, A Tribute to Teachers, American Trivia, and Amazing Words. His “Lederer on Language” column runs in the San Diego Union-Tribune; he is also the founding co-host of "A Way With Words" broacast on KPBS public radio.
- Richard Carrico, wine maker, archaeologist, historian and author of books on wine making and Native American history including Of Wine on the Lees Well Refined: A History of Wine and Wineries in San Diego County and Strangers in a Stolen Land.
- Jim and Terri Varnell, San Diego Natural History Museum field guide to hikes: Coast to Cactus: The Canyoneer Trail Guide to San Diego Outdoors.
- Don Endicott, coauthor of 50 Best Short Hikes San Diego, written with the late great Jerry Schad.
- Reina Menasche, host of East County Magazine’s Bookshelf show on KNSJ radio, author of the powerful novels Silent Bird and Twice Begun.
- Bette Pegas, author of Chasing a Dream in the Galapagos: A Personal Evolution.
- Linda Hawley, author of the children’s book (Nature Adventures: A Guidebook of Nature Facts, Songs, and Hikes in San Diego County.
- Del Hood, former Daily Californian editor, author of History in the Headlines: Half a Century of the Most Notable Events in El Cajon Valley and the Surrounding Areas.
East County Fest will also include food and wine-tasting from 17 local restaurants and wineries, artists, four musical entertainment options, a "Best of East County" slide show, auction, raffle, stargazimg and fun galore to benefit nonprofit community news by East County Magazine and the East County Wildfire and Emergency Alerts. Reserve tickets now..
Share on social media!
We thank our major sponsor, SDG&E, and our restaurant and winery sponsors: