April 15, 2012 (San Diego) – In a show of support for Councilmember Marti Emerald’s reelection, more than 60 Latino leaders and community members attended a rally yesterday in City Heights.
“I am extremely grateful for the support of the people from so many diverse neighborhoods and communities in District 9,” Emerald said. “I believe it is critical that all communities are empowered and have a voice.” Emerald said that voting is an important way to empower District 9 residents. “If you want to be heard, you must vote,” she added.
After the rally, she personally delivered voter registration forms to the City Heights Wellness Center (4440 Wightman Street, Suite 200), the Copley Family YMCA (3901 Landis Street), the San Diego Futures Foundation Community Technology Center (4305 University Avenue, Suite 130) and the SDPD Multi-Cultural Community Relations Center (5348 University Ave., Suite 100). Voter registration forms are also available at libraries, post offices and the Registrar of Voters (www.sdvote.com).
Speakers supporting solidarity included:
- Lorena Gonzalez, Secretary-Treasurer/CEO of the San Diego and Imperial Counties Labor Council
- Richard Barrera, Board Member of the San Diego Unified School District
- Caridad Sanchez, Southcrest Resident
- Representatives speaking on behalf of Assemblymember Ben Hueso and Senator JuanVargas
- Linda LeGerrette, San Diego Unity League
- Aimee Lee Cheek, Rolando Resident
- Maurize Rios, El Cerrito Resident
- Katherine Eaton, Azalea Park Resident
- Linda Pennington, Project CLEAN and FaceLift Project Manager
- Ahmed Malinomar and Maria Cortez, City Heights Community Development Corporation
- SEIU Workers and others