Proceeds help fund special programs for San Diegans in need of hospice care
September 16, 2012 (San Diego) – The LightBridge Hospice Community Foundation, a non-profit organization that fulfills special requests from hospice patients and their loved ones, will host its 4th annual Remembrance Walk on Sunday, September 23 at Liberty Station.
The morning event is also an opportunity to remember loved ones as well as to honor the family members, volunteers and the staff who cared for them.
“This walk is as much a celebration of life as it is a fundraiser,” said Abby Murphy, Director of Development at LightBridge Hospice Community Foundation. “This year we’ve included a few new highlights. There will be a booth with a variety of children’s activities and a best dressed pooch contest with special dog stage for photos as a way of showcasing our pet therapy program. The walk promises to be a great morning for everyone, including children and dogs!”
Event details for the Remembrance Walk are as follows:
• When: Sunday, September 23 with registration beginning at 7:30 a.m. and opening ceremonies starting at 8:35 a.m.
• Where: Liberty Station, in the Naval Training Center Park, on Cushing Road between Chauncey and Dewey
• Cost: $20 registration fee, children under 12 are free and includes t-shirt, snacks and refreshments, and chance for prizes the day of event
“Our Simple Gifts Fund fulfills the final wishes of patients who would not otherwise be able to experience their dream and is an example of one of the extraordinary programs this walk benefits,” said Jill Mendlen, Board Chair of LightBridge Hospice Community Foundation. “We encourage everyone to form a team, join an existing team, become a sponsor, or sign up as a virtual walker in memory of a loved one on behalf of the individuals and families impacted by the mission of LightBridge Hospice Community Foundation.”
Day of activities and visual elements include:
• “Best Dressed Pooch” contest and special dog stage for photos
• Children’s Booth with various activities and a contest for “best decorated shoes, bicycles, strollers and scooters”
• Performance by the Steel Monarchs, the Monarch School for homeless and at-risk students’ steel drum band
• A “Remembrance Quilt” for attendees to write letters and place inside its pockets to honor loved ones
• Opportunity drawings and silent auction
Register online here: http://lbhcf.org/index.php/special-events/walk-registration or call 858-458-2992 for more information.
Sponsors include: Palomar Medical Group, Care1st Health Plan, Seacrest Village Retirement Communities, Kennon S. Shea & Associates, Katz Accountancy Corporation, The Glenner Memory Care Center, Nico Insurance Services Inc., Duckor Spradling Metzger & Wynne, Lockton Insurance Brokers, Sungarden Terrace, BrightStar Care, The Mendlen Family, Zuza, and Edward Robinson, in loving memory of his sister Claire Robinson, Hough Family, Paul and Kerry Mills, Leo and Robin Eisenberg, Fackler Family Foundation, Bob Eddy Family, MediLodge, and A Place for Rehabilitation.