Lisa-Anne Barrow tied for first in the long jump
Photo courtesy goaztecs.com
February 23, 2018 (Alberquerque) - The San Diego State track and field team wrapped up the second day of the Mountain West Indoor Championships at the Albuquerque Convention Center Friday afternoon. Ashley Henderson highlighted the day by finishing in first place in the 60 and 200 prelims, she looks to defend her titles in the finals tomorrow.
“I felt really good about my races today,” Henderson said after her races. “As far as the finals tomorrow, I am not going to apply any pressure. I am healthy, strong and prepared. I have worked so hard at practice so I believe I’m ready.”
Henderson finished the 60 in 7.25 and the 200 in 23.07. She has taken first in the 200 the past two years and won the 60 last year.
Lisa-Anne Barrow will join Henderson in the 200 finals after finishing in 7th place with a time of 24.35. Callista Fletcher just missed the cut in both the 60 (7.65) and the 200 (24.46), finishing in ninth place in both events. Fletcher’s time of 24.46 in the 200 was a personal best.
Barrow has a strong showing in the long jump, clearing 19-10.75 (6.06m), which tied her for first place, but she took second due to the tiebreaker. Her distance tied for the fourth longest jump in school history.
Jalyn Harris advanced to the finals in the 400 with a time of 55.55, good for fifth place and a new personal best.
Through five events, the Aztecs sit in tenth place, but will move up the standings tomorrow when Henderson and the rest of the Aztec sprinters run.
Saturday, the final day of the championships, kicks off with the pole vault finals and the triple jump with both events beginning at 11:30 a.m. The finals of the 60 hurdles, 400, 60-meter dash, 800 and 200 will occur is 20-minute increments, starting with the 60-meter hurdles at 12:20 p.m. SDSU closes the meet with the 4x400-meter relay at 2:30 p.m. The awards ceremony will immediately follow completion of the events.
Team Scores (Through 5 events)
1. Colorado State 45
2. Air Force 26
3. New Mexico 25.5
4. Boise State 25
5. Fresno State 24.33
6. Nevada 21.5
T-7. UNLV 17
T-7. San Jose State 17
9. Wyoming 16
10. Utah State 8.67
11. San Diego State 8
60 Meter Dash Prelims
1. Ashley Henderson (SDSU) 7.25q
9. Callista Fletcher (SDSU) 7.65
16. Je’Neal Ainsworth (SDSU) 8.24 PR
60 Meter Hurdles Prelims
1. Destinee Rocker (Colorado St.) 8.31
10. Asia Smith (SDSU) 8.78
200 Meter Dash Prelims
1. Ashley Henderson (SDSU) 23.07q
7. Lisa-Anne Barrow (SDSU) 24.35q
9. Callista Fletcher (SDSU) 24.46 PR
13. Lakin Hatcher (SDSU) 25.22
Jalyn Harris (SDSU) DQ (Lane violation curve)
400 Meter Dash Prelims
1. Najia Hudspeth (UNLV) 54.51
5. Jalyn Harris (SDSU) 55.55q PR
14. Lakin Hatcher (SDSU) 57.51
20. Jasmine Young (SDSU) 58.56 PR
800 Meter Run Prelims
1. Sadi Henderson (Boise St.) 2:04.60
16. Angela Wilson (SDSU) 2:19.38
17. Cindy Flores (SDSU) 2:21.35
Ellison Grove (SDSU) DNF
Long Jump Finals
1. Cambree Harbaugh (San Jose St.) 19-10.75 (6.06m)
2. Lisa-Anne Barrow (SDSU) 19-10.75J (6.06m) T-4th all-time at SDSU, PR
10. Jelena McNown (SDSU) 18-03.75 (5.58m)
23. Asia Smith (SDSU) 17-00.75 (5.20m)
High Jump Finals
1. Shelly Spires (Air Force) 6-00.50 (1.84m)
15. Hannah Taylor (SDSU) 5-03.25 (1.61m)
20. Asia Smith (SDSU) 5-01.25 (1.56m)