PROP C REJECTED BY VOTERS

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version Share this

UPDATE:  CLICK READ MORE TO READ STATEMENT FROM CHARGERS CHAIRMAN DEAN SPANOS

By Liz Alper

Photo courtesy chargers.com

November 9, 2016 (San Diego) - Proposition C, the measure that would allow the Chargers to build a new downtown stadium and convention center near Petco Park in the East Village and raise the hotel tax to 16.5 percent from its current 10.5 percent, failed to garner the two thirds it needed to pass last night, with a vote total of 56.96 percent (168,677) no and 43.04 percent (127,433) yes. 

In total, the number of precincts and votes counted was 769.

The team said the "convadium" could be used aronud 300 days a year.  The Chargers and NFL would have provided $650 million towards the project.

"In terms of what comes next for the Chargers, it's just too early to give you an answer," team chairman Dean Spanos said. "We are going to diligently explore and weigh our options, and do what is needed to maintain our options, but no decision will be announced until after the football season concludes and no decision will be made in haste."

"San Diego voters know a bad deal when they see it," City councilman Chris Cate, who voted against the proposal, told City News Service. "Now the ball is in the Chargers' court in terms of whether or not they want to have a negotiation, have a dialogue with the city and other stakeholders in order to get a deal done that's in the best interest of both the team and taxpayers."

Spanos sent the following letter was sent after midnight on Wednesday morning to Chargers fans and season ticket holders:

Despite the fact that Measure C failed to receive a two-thirds majority, I wanted to reach out right away with a very sincere thank you for your loyal support as a fan and for considering our initiative.

There is much we can be proud of tonight: the 110,000 residents who qualified the measure in just six short weeks; the vocal and passionate support from our fan groups and corporate partners; the strong endorsements and hard work of numerous civic, business, and labor leaders; and the heartfelt efforts of our alumni and players.

In terms of what comes next for the Chargers, it’s just too early to give you an answer. We are going to diligently explore and weigh our options, and do what is needed to maintain our options, but no decision will be announced until after the football season concludes and no decision will be made in haste.

The outpouring of support from friends like you, and so many others, has been heartwarming throughout the campaign and I will continue to be mindful of that in the weeks ahead.

Thank you, again, for believing in the Chargers. Everyone on the team and in my family appreciates your loyal support and continued patience, and we look forward to an exciting rest of the season.

Sincerely,

Dean A. Spanos

UPDATE:  Spanos issued this statement today:

First and foremost, I want to thank everyone who worked so hard throughout this campaign. From the Chamber of Commerce to the Building Trades and organized labor, from the fan groups to the volunteers who helped us collect more than 110,000 signatures and knock on more than 50,000 doors. Every member of the Chargers organization will be forever grateful for your tremendous help and steadfast support.

This has been a long campaign, and I’m sure we all want to put aside stadium talk for a while and focus on the rest of the Chargers’ season. Our team, with its mix of veteran leaders and young stars, has played some of the most exciting football in the NFL so far, and I can’t wait to see how we do throughout the rest of the season. Our players have shown great heart and resilience in the NFL’s toughest division. I’m eager – as I’m sure you all are – to give the stadium debate a rest and enjoy some Chargers football.

So I’m going to put aside any discussion of our possible next steps until after the season, to allow everyone to focus on football and to give my family and me time to think carefully about what is best for the future of our franchise. Over the coming weeks you may hear news about steps that we must take to preserve all of our options. But please know that I don’t intend to make any decisions until after the regular season ends and that, in the meantime, I hope to enjoy with you one great Chargers game after another.


Error message

Local news in the public interest is more important now than ever, during the COVID-19 crisis. Our reporters, as essential workers, are dedicated to keeping you informed, even though we’ve had to cancel fundraising events. Please give the gift of community journalism by donating at https://www.eastcountymedia.org/donate.