August 30, 2009 (San Diego’s East County) -- Whether you've played an active role in improving the state of our political and social environment or wanted to but didn't know how to get involved, joining Run Women Run provides opportunities for you to make a difference.
On September 13, 2009, a Candidate Recruitfest will be held at the Rancho San Diego Library, 11155 Via Rancho San Diego, El Cajon, 92019 at 1:30 p.m. for individuals to learn about elective office opportunities. Admission is free and open to the public. Although this particular event is hosted by the Democratic Party, Run Women Run is a nonpartisan organization that aspires to “inspire, identify, mentor and support qualified pro-choice San Diego women who run for office or seek appointed government positions.” The group, which includes intergenerational and multi-cultural members, provides campaign training, technical assistance and hands-on volunteer help.
Membership dues start at $100 per year ($50 for those under 35 or over 65). Members have opportunities to:
• Learn about the issues impacting San Diego, California, and the nation, and their implications for women, children and families
• Support the election of qualified women candidates in San Diego
• Interact with elected officials and prospective candidates to evaluate their positions
• Network with progressive pro-choice women and men who share similar goals
• Attend (at a discounted rate) Run Women Run programs
• Discover new ways to effect change
• Join one of the committees that "run" Run Women Run
For more information about this event call: (619) 447-3246 or visit http://www.copswiki.org/w/bin/view/Events/E00065
Marisa Kezirian is a communications major at San Diego State University and a journalism intern with East County Magazine.