August 24, 2011 (El Cajon) -- At Tuesday’s City Council meeting, August 23rd, San Diego Gas & Electric representatives presented a sizeable check to the El Cajon City Council. The check for $71, 340.00 was for the City’s hard work and leadership in energy efficient building for the new El Cajon Police Station.
Senior Gafcon Construction Manager Joe DeMello said, “This new police station is an energy efficient building, and we are very proud of the extended project team for successfully delivering this much needed building to the City of El Cajon.”
San Diego Gas & Electric has worked with the City of El Cajon since 2007 to assist them in incorporating state of the art energy efficiency technologies in designing the El Cajon Police Station/Public Safety Center. S.D.G. & E. applauds the City of El Cajon for constructing this innovative building that features these technologies.
S.D.G. & E. encourages its customers to prioritize and maximize the use of the energy efficiency programs which are made available for those building new commercial construction, as well as those remodeling existing facilities. This is done through their Savings by Design program that provides cash incentives and technical assistance to builders wanting to build energy efficient buildings.
S.D.G. & E. says they were thrilled to have an opportunity to work on this project which involved savings for the El Cajon Police Station/Public Safety Center for the City of El Cajon. This center is designed to save over 186,000 kWh of energy compared to a standard Title 24 compliant building. This is the equivalent of removing 128 metric tons of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere per year, or providing enough electricity for 16 homes.
Some of the energy efficient features recognized:
*One 390 ton water-cooled centrifugal chiller with variable frequency drive.
*One 390 ton cooling tower with two variable frequency drives on the fan motors.
*Highly efficient glazing
*A light power density of 12% better than Title 24.
S.D.G. & E. recognizes and thanks the El Cajon City Council for their commitment to energy efficiency and helping create a more sustainable energy future in San Diego with this very forward –thinking facility.
Public Safety Center - “A Green Building” - additional energy saving features recognized:
- A 70kw photovoltaic system - reducing energy cost
- High efficiency lighting and air conditioning - lighting is approximately 12% more efficient than standard
- Day lighting – natural light - reduces artificial lighting saving energy and more productive work environment
- Recycled content and regionally sourced materials - many products contain recycled material, steel, carpet, many sources within 500 miles, reduces pollution and fuel consumption
- Low volatile organic compound (VOC) finishes – creating a better indoor air quality and minimize health impacts
- Low flow plumbing fixtures – reducing water consumption by 40%
- A “cool” high-reflective/high emissivity roof - reducing heat gain on building, allows less cooling
- Drought tolerant landscaping – with reduced water use and maintenance
- Green Roof - utilizes rainwater and keeps the building cool
- Energy efficient glass - reduces heat transfer into the building
- Bio swales - to filter storm water runoff
- Building commissioning