Jordan Verdon, Chad Bible and Chase Calabuig all hit home runs to pace offense
Photo courtesy goaztecs.com
May 1, 2018 (San Diego) - The San Diego State baseball team defeated UC Riverside 8-6 in its regular season non-conference finale at Tony Gwynn Stadium Tuesday night. SDSU, which extended its season-best winning streak to six games, stands at 31-14 on the year while UCR drops to 16-23.
The Aztecs used the long ball to account for six of its eight runs in the contest, as a solo shot by Chase Calabuig in the first, a three-run homer by Granite Hills alum Jordan Verdon in the third, and a two-run blast by Chad Bible in the third helped SDSU build a 7-1 lead. Calabuig, Verdon and Bible hit their fifth, ninth, and eighth home runs of the season, respectively.
Calabuig added an insurance run in the top of the seventh with SDSU leading 7-5 by leading off the frame with his 17th double of the year and later scoring on a Dean Nevarez sacrifice fly.
Logan Boyer made his first start since Feb. 23 and worked around a two-out error to post a scoreless frame. Justin Goossen-Brown took over pitching duties and ultimately earned his fourth win of the season, pitching three innings with two hits and one run allowed while striking out five.
With UCR trailing 7-1, the Highlanders brought itself within striking distance with a three-run fifth inning, including a two-run home run by shortstop Colby Schultz and an RBI single by third baseman Nathan Webb.
A run in the seventh and a run in the eighth cut SDSU's lead to 8-6. However, Casey Schmitt was called upon in his third save situation in the last four games and lived up to the task, forcing a leadoff groundout before recording a 6-4-3 double play to end the inning and seal SDSU's 8-6 victory.
In addition to all three hitting home runs, the power-hitting trio of Calabuig (2-for-3, 3 R, RBI), Verdon (3-for-4, R, 3 RBIs) and Bible (2-for-3, R, 2 RBI) all logged multi-hit performances to contribute seven of SDSU's nine total hits.
- San Diego State is 9-1 in its last 10 games, the best 10-game stretch for the Aztecs since starting the 2015 season 9-1.
- SDSU's six-game winning streak is tied for the longest streak since the start of the 2016 season.
- SDSU has won 12 of its last 18 meetings against UCR.
- The Aztecs complete a stretch of 12 of 13 games being at home. Over those 12 games, SDSU posted a 9-3 record.
- SDSU won its 78th consecutive game when leading after eight innings.
- SDSU will finish the 2018 regular season with a 26-8 record against Big West teams since the start of the 2017 season.
- Chase Calabuig reached base in his 47th consecutive home game, extending the Tony Gwynn Stadium record. Calabuig also reached base in his 15th consecutive game, good for the longest active streak for SDSU.
- Chase Calabuig logged his 22nd multi-hit game of the season, good for most on the team.
- Casey Schmitt posted his eighth save in the last 29 days after pitching a scoreless ninth inning. Schmitt has not allowed an earned run in his last 18 innings pitched (since March 17) and now owns a 0.38 ERA over 24 innings pitched, good for the lowest ERA by an Aztec (minimum 10 IP) since joining the Mountain West in 2000.
The Aztecs jump back into Mountain West play this weekend on the road, facing New Mexico in a three-game series starting Friday at 5:00 p.m. MT.