Aztecs extend winning streak to three matches
Photo courtesy goaztecs.com
March 26, 2019 (San Diego) - San Diego State won its third consecutive match Tuesday with a 7-0 whitewash of visiting Eastern Washington at Aztec Tennis Center.
The Aztecs (8-6) earned the doubles point for the second outing in a row and the sixth time this spring before claiming all six singles encounters to complete their second shutout of the season.
SDSU established itself early on, with the tandem of Sander Gjoels-Andersen and Ignacio Martinez emerging triumphant over Jeremy Field and Mikayel Khachatryan by a 6-2 count on the No. 1 doubles court, while the duo of Rafael Gonzalez Almazan and Arnaud Restifo joined forces for the first time since November to pin a 6-1 defeat on Manuel Balce and Martin Bats in the No. 3 position.
With a 1-0 lead firmly in the Aztecs’ grasp, Jan Kirchhoff and Fabian Roensdorf had their No. 2 match suspended after falling behind 5-2 to Wout Douman and Jeremy Mueller.
The Eagles (3-9) were unable to muster a serious threat in singles, where the Aztecs captured four of six matches in straight sets.
Restifo kept the proverbial ball rolling with a 6-0, 6-1 conquest of Bats in the No. 4 position, while Martinez soon followed with a 6-4, 6-2 victory over Balce at No. 3 to snap a personal two-match skid.
Moments later, David Hough duplicated the feat with a 6-1, 6-4 decision over Douman in the sixth slot, while Gonzalez Almazan finished off Mueller in the No. 5 position, 6-3, 6-2.
Leading 5-0, the two remaining matches were also settled in favor of the Scarlet and Black in super-tiebreakers. After splitting the first two sets on court No. 1, 3-6, 6-3, Gjoels-Andersen closed out Field in convincing fashion, 10-0, to win his third straight, while Roensdorf outlasted Khachatryan, 6-2, 5-7, 10-7, at No. 2.
San Diego State opens Mountain West play with a road trip to Utah State on Friday, March 29. First serve is set for 3 p.m. MT/2 p.m. PT, with links to live stats and streaming video available on GoAztecs.com.
San Diego State 7, Eastern Washington 0
March 26, 2019
San Diego, Calif.
Aztec Tennis Center
1. Sander Gjoels-Andersen/Ignacio Martinez (SDSU) def. Jeremy Field/Mikayel Khachatryan (EWU), 6-2
2. Wout Douman/Jeremy Mueller (EWU) vs. Jan Kirchhoff/Fabian Roensdorf (SDSU), 5-2, DNF
3. Rafael Gonzalez Almazan/Arnaud Restifo (SDSU) def. Manuel Balce/Martin Bats (EWU), 6-1
Order of finish: 1, 3
SDSU wins doubles point
1. Sander Gjoels-Andersen (SDSU) def. Jeremy Field (EWU), 3-6, 6-3, 10-0
2. Fabian Roensdorf (SDSU) def. Mikayel Khachatryan (EWU), 6-2, 5-7, 10-7
3. Ignacio Martinez (SDSU) def. Manuel Balce (EWU), 6-4, 6-2
4. Arnaud Restifo (SDSU) def. Martin Bats (EWU), 6-0, 6-1
5. Rafael Gonzalez Almazan (SDSU) def. Jeremy Mueller (EWU), 6-3, 6-2
6. David Hough (SDSU) def. Wout Douman (EWU), 6-1, 6-4
Order of finish: 4, 3, 6*, 5, 1, 2
* Match-clinching victory
Records: SDSU (8-6), EWU (3-9)