Photo: Ignacio Martinez was a winner at No. 2 singles vs. Boise State on Thursday. Courtesy goaztecs.com
March 29, 2018 (Boise) - San Diego State hit the road for its return to Mountain West competition on Thursday night, but was unable to put all the pieces together in a 4-1 setback to host Boise State at Appleton Tennis Center.
With the loss, the Aztecs slip to 3-16 on the year and 1-1 in conference play, while the Broncos move to 8-10 overall and 1-1 in the MW.
The two sides traded punches in doubles, with the SDSU tandem of Sander Gjoels-Andersen and Rafael Gonzalez Almazan claiming a 6-4 decision over Mattia Bedolo and Wyatt DeMulling in the No. 3 position after the Aztec duo of Nicholas Mitchell and Arnaud Restifo suffered a 6-2 defeat moments earlier at the hands of Kyle Butters and Jack Heslin on the No. 1 court.
However, Boise State captured the hotly contested point when the No. 2 pairing of Stefan Lalovic and Pedro Platzeck subdued the Scarlet and Black’s Raul de la Torre and Jan Kirchhoff by a 6-4 tally.
Stung, the Aztecs fought back to tie the score when Ignacio Martinez registered a 6-2, 6-4 triumph over Butters at No. 2 singles.
SDSU was unable to seize the momentum, however, as the Broncos reeled off three straight victories to seal the match. Restifo fell victim to Butters at the top of the ladder, 6-2, 6-4, while Gonzalez Almazan was dismissed by Max Blancaneaux in the fifth slot, 6-4, 6-4.
Conversely, Kirchhoff found himself in a tight battle on court No. 4 with Bedolo, who ultimately prevailed in a three-setter for the clinching point, 6-2, 4-6, 6-3.
With the outcome no longer in doubt, the two remaining matches were suspended after progressing to a third set, including the No. 6 encounter, where de la Torre trailed Platzeck 2-1, while Gjoels-Andersen fell behind 2-0 to DeMulling in the No. 3 spot.
San Diego State returns to the courts on Sunday, April 1 when it plays host to Utah State in another MW clash starting at 11 a.m.
Boise State 4, San Diego State 1
March 29, 2018
Appleton Tennis Center
1. Kyle Butters/Jack Heslin (BSU) def. Nicholas Mitchell/Arnaud Restifo (SDSU), 6-2
2. Stefan Lalovic/Pedro Platzeck (BSU) def. Raul de la Torre/Jan Kirchhoff (SDSU), 6-4
3. Sander Gjoels-Andersen/Rafael Gonzalez Almazan (SDSU) def. Mattia Bedolo/Wyatt DeMulling (BSU), 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
Boise State wins doubles point
1. Jack Heslin (BSU) def. Arnaud Restifo (SDSU), 6-3, 6-4
2. Ignacio Martinez (SDSU) def. Kyle Butters (BSU), 6-2, 6-4
3. Wyatt DeMulling (BSU) vs. Sander Gjoels-Andersen (SDSU), 5-7, 6-4, 2-0 DNF
4. Mattia Bedolo (BSU) def. Jan Kirchhoff (SDSU), 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
5. Max Blancaneaux (BSU) def. Rafael Gonzalez Almazan (SDSU), 6-4, 6-4
6. Pedro Platzeck (BSU) vs. Raul de la Torre (SDSU), 6-7 (7), 6-1, 2-1 DNF
Order of finish: 2, 1, 5, 4*
* Match-clinching victory
Records: SDSU (3-16, 1-1 MW), BSU (8-10, 1-1 MW)