Sara Absten set a new PR in all four events
Photo courtesy goaztecs.com
May 8, 2019 (Clovis) - Asia Smith sits in first place through four events of the heptathlon at the Mountain West Outdoor Championships. Her teammate, Sara Absten set a new PR in all four events and is in sixth place.
Smith has 3,422 points after winning the shot put, taking second in the 100m hurdles, third in the high jump and fifth in the 200m dash.
In the first event, the 100m hurdles, both Smith and Absten set new PRs. Smith finished in 14.06 despite facing a headwind, good for second place and Absten came in eighth with a time of 14.75.
In the high jump, Smith cleared 5-06.50, good for third place, and Absten tied for fourth with a new PR of 5-05.25.
Smith won the shot put by over two feet with a new PR of 43-07.25. Absten tied for eighth with a throw of 32-08.50.
In the final event of the evening, the 200m dash, both Smith and Absten set new PRs. Absten finished in 24.75 to take fourth place and Smith grabbed fifth with a time of 25.26, half a second faster than her previous best time.
Smith and Absten will wrap up the heptathlon Thursday evening. The rest of the Aztecs will begin competition Friday. SDSU has won four of the last six MW Outdoor Championships.
Mountain West Championships – Day One
Heptathlon (Through Four Events)
1. Asia Smith (SDSU) – 3,422
6. Sara Absten (SDSU) – 3,118
1. Aria Tate (CSU) – 13.99 (-0.6)
2. Asia Smith (SDSU) – 14.06 (-0.6) – PR
8. Sara Absten (SDSU) – 14.75 (-0.1) – PR
1. Alyssa Hirschi (USU) – 5-07.75 (1.72m)
3. Asia Smith (SDSU) – 5-06.50 (1.69m)
T-4. Sara Absten (SDSU) – 5-05.25 (1.66m) – PR
1. Asia Smith (SDSU) – 43-07.25 (13.29m) – PR
T-8. Sara Absten (SDSU) – 32-08.50 (9.97m) – PR
1. Jestena Mattson (Fresno St.) – 24.29 (+1.1)
4. Sara Absten (SDSU) – 24.75 (+1.1) – PR
5. Asia Smith (SDSU) – 25.26 (+1.8) – PR