Aztecs claim first conference match of the season
Video courtesy goaztecs.com
March 29, 2019 (San Diego) - San Diego State women’s tennis seized their first conference win of the season in Friday afternoon’s 4-1 victory over Fresno State. The Aztecs started the day with a win in doubles play and went on to clinch singles, allowing the Bulldogs just one point.
In doubles action, sophomore Nnena Nadozie and freshman Alicia Melosch paired up on court one to take on Deniza Marcinkevica and Ella Husrefovic, where the Aztec duo built a steady lead to finish 6-3 over the Bulldogs. Junior Mia Smith and senior Magda Aubets jumped out ahead early in the second-seeded match to ultimately finish 6-2 over Georgia Lawson and A.C. Hummel, clinching the doubles point for San Diego State.
The Bulldogs fought back in singles play and claimed the first individual matchup when Fresno’s Shir Azran topped Melosch, 6-3, 6-1. Nadozie came away with another dominant finish in singles, going 6-2, 6-1 over Husrefovic on court two, while Smith tallied her own second win of the afternoon with a 6-4, 6-3 match against Jennifer Timotin on court one.
Sitting at 3-1 overall, the Aztecs pushed into third sets on all three remaining courts, but freshman Agustina Rimoldi Godoy finished off Lawson, 2-6, 6-2, 6-2, to clinch the match for the Aztecs.
With her singles win, Sophomore Nnena Nadozie joins classmate Abbie Mulbarger as the only two Aztecs with double-digit singles victories on the season, each owning a 10-4 individual record.
San Diego State (10-7, 1-0 MW) hit the road next weekend for two conference matchups, first at San Jose State on Friday, March 5, followed by a trip to Nevada on Sunday, April 7.
San Diego State 4, Fresno State 1
March 29, 2019
Aztec Tennis Center
1. Nnena Nadozie/Alicia Melosch (SDSU) def. Deniza Marcinkevica/Ella Husrefovic (FS) 6-3
2. Mia Smith/Magda Aubets (SDSU) def. Georgia Lawson/A.C. Hummel (FS) 6-2
3. Jenny Moinard/Abbie Mulbarger (SDSU) vs. Shir Azran/Jennifer Timotin (FS) 5-3, unfinished
Order of finish: 1, 2
SDSU wins doubles point
1. Mia Smith (SDSU) def. Jennifer Timotin (FS) 6-4, 6-3
2. Nnena Nadozie (SDSU) def. Ella Husrefovic (FS) 6-2, 6-1
3. Shir Azran (FS) def. Alicia Melosch (SDSU) 6-3, 6-1
4. Magda Aubets (SDSU) vs. Deniza Marcinkevica (FS) 6-4, 5-7, 1-3, unfinished
5. Abbie Mulbarger (SDSU) vs. A.C. Hummel (FS) 2-6, 6-2, 0-3, unfinished
6. Agustina Rimoldi (SDSU) def. Georgia Lawson (FS) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1, 6*
* Match clinching dual