Titans take down Aztecs 4-0
Photo courtesy goaztecs.com
January 28, 2017 (San Diego) - San Diego State women’s tennis team fell short on Saturday, succumbing to Cal State Fullerton, 4-0. The Fullerton Titans notched their second consecutive win against the Aztecs as they defeated SDSU last season.
The day got off to a tough start with the Aztecs falling in the first two doubles matches, giving the Titans the doubles point. At the No. 3 spot, Freshmen Alli Valk and Mia Smith could not get past Fullerton’s Masako Makiba and Danielle Pham, 6-3. The second-seed duo of Kennedy Davis and Paola Diaz faced a similar fate, falling to Sarah Nuno and Karla Portalatin in a 6-3 decision, handing the first point of the day to the Titans.
Singles decisions came just as fast as doubles, with Valk succumbing to her opponent, Portalatin, in the fourth spot, 6-1, 6-4. In the No. 6 match, freshman Berta Acero could not shake Pham, falling in a 6-2, 6-2 decision. With Fullerton sitting at 3-0, Alexis Valenzuela edged out SDSU junior Jana Buth, 6-2, 6-4, at the top of the order and the Titans clinched the victory.
With its first loss of the season, San Diego State travels north tomorrow with a 1-1 record to face the UC Irvine Anteaters in Irvine, Calif. First serve is set for noon.
Cal State Fullerton 4, San Diego State 0
Aztec Tennis Center
San Diego, Calif.
Jan. 28, 2017
1. Jana Buth/Taylor Lederman (SDSU) vs. Camille De Leon/Alexis Valenzuela (CSUF) - DNF
2. Sarah Nuno/Karla Portalatin (CSUF) def. Kennedy Davis/Paola Diaz (SDSU) 6-3
3. Masako Makiba/Danielle Pham def. Alli Valk/Mia Smith (SDSU) 6-3
Order of finish: 3, 2
CSUF wins doubles point
1. Alexis Valenzuela (CSUF) def. Jana Buth (SDSU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Kennedy Davis vs. Camille De Leon (CSUF) 6-3, 5-7, 2-0, DNF
3. Paola Diaz (SDSU) vs. Sarah Nuno (CSUF) 3-6, 5-5, DNF
4. Karla Portalatin (CSUF) def. Alli Valk (SDSU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Olivia Larsson (SDSU) vs. Masako Makiba (CSUF) 1-6, 6-4, DNF
6. Danielle Pham (CSUF) def. Berta Acero (SDSU) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 4, 6, 1*
*Match clinching victory