Aztecs top Tritions to go 2-0
Photo courtesy goaztecs.com
January 26, 2019 (San Diego) - San Diego State women's tennis remained perfect in its second dual of the season with a 7-0 victory over UC San Diego on Saturday, Jan. 26. This is second straight dual the Aztecs have blanked their opponent this season after downing Sacramento State last weekend.
In doubles play, senior Magda Aubets and sophomore Nnena Nadozie pulled off a convincing win over Valeria Corral and Anu Bhadada, 6-1, in the third seed, but senior Jenny Moinard and freshman Shakhnoza Khatamova dropped a close 6-4 decision to Ashley Chao and Becky Chou in the No. 1 matchup. Junior Mia Smith and freshman Alicia Melosch rallied past Alexandra Weil and Madison Hale to claim the doubles point for the Aztecs with their 7-6 (2) victory.
The Scarlet and Black remained dominant in singles action as every Aztec claimed a win for the afternoon. Moinard was first to nab a victory, finishing 6-1, 6-1 over Ashley Chao in the top seed, while freshman Abbie Mulbarger conquered the No. 5 seed with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Bhadada. Nadozie clinched the SDSU dual victory with her 6-0, 6-2 triumph over Weil on court two. The Aztecs remaining on courts following the clinch each tallied wins to add another perfect dual to their record.
SDSU logs its second straight 7-0 win this season.
Now 2-0, the Aztecs are back on the courts at the ATC tomorrow at noon when they face UC Riverside.
San Diego State 7, UCSD 0
Jan. 26, 2019
Aztec Tennis Center
1. Ashley Chao/Becky Chou (UCSD) def. Jenny Moinard/Shakhnoza Khatamova (SDSU) 6-4
2. Mia Smith/Alicia Melosch (SDSU) def. Alexandra Weil/Madison Hale (UCSD) 7-6 (2)
3. Magda Aubets/Nnena Nadozie (SDSU) def. Valeria Corral/Anu Bhadada (UCSD) 6-1
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
SDSU wins doubles point
1. Jenny Moinard (SDSU) def. Ashley Chao (UCSD) 6-1, 6-1
2. Nnena Nadozie (SDSU) def. Alexandra Weil (UCSD) 6-0, 6-2
3. Alicia Melosch (SDSU) def. Becky Chou (UCSD) 6-2, 6-4
4. Magda Aubets (SDSU) def. Valeria Corral (UCSD) 6-4, 6-1
5. Abbie Mulbarger (SDSU) def. Anu Bhadada (UCSD) 6-1, 6-0
6. Agustina Rimoldi (SDSU) def. Madison Hale (UCSD) 6-2, 6-1
Order of finish: 1, 5, 2*, 6, 3, 4
* Match clinching dual