Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version Share this
Nothing but the truth!
September 20, 2011--Since the election of Ronald Reagan, the percentage of wealth in the hands of the rich has increased, until today, 10% of the population controls 90% of the money.  That would not be so bad in itself, but the rich now want the other 10%, which is what 90% of the people live on.

With wealth comes power, as the Corporate Media not only controls newspapers, magazines, and television, but is now buying up the Internet. 


Political control had passed from the people to large corporations, who literally have lobbyists writing legislation and tax policy to keep power from passing out of their monopolies. Congress rubberstamps it withoug bothering to read the bills.

Both political parties have been co-opted by the rich, because running modern campaigns requires money by the truckful.  The recent Citizens United decision by the US Supreme Court had legitimized the concept that money is speech.  The public may have ideas, but the rich control the microphones.

The Republican Party and its auxiliary, the Tea-Party, are trying to dismantle government at all levels, hoping to bankrupt cities, states and even the Federal Government. What will replace government?  Private police, prisons, armies, and militias run by selected private corporations who will ensure that Big Government dies in the crib.

Exactly who would rule this Plutocracy is unknown.  But you would suspect the usual suspects.  Big Oil, Big HealthCare, big Pharma, and Big Energy all want unfettered monopoly without government interference or environmental restrictions.

The US Constitution, which is supposed to keep US citizens free and equal, will be replaced by emergency legislation written by the rich.  Tax policy will be used as a hammer to control dissent, and woe unto the person who challenges the status quo.

What's worst of all, is that the rich will tell you all this is for your own good! Do not believe them!

Will Powers is a retired history teacher and creative writing instructor. The views expressed in this editorial do not necessarily reflect the views of East County Magazine. 


Error message

Support community news in the public interest! As nonprofit news, we rely on donations from the public to fund our reporting -- not special interests. Please donate to sustain East County Magazine's local reporting and/or wildfire alerts at https://www.eastcountymedia.org/donate to help us keep people safe and informed across our region.


I'm SOOO glad you are

I'm SOOO glad you are retired. Thank God you aren't in a classroom poisoning minds with your leftist crap. It's your BIG government that is the failure.