Toreros clinch dual over SDSU with four singles victories
Photo courtesy goaztecs.com
February 11, 2018 (San Diego) - The San Diego State women’s tennis team looked to take down cross-town foe University of San Diego Sunday, but after winning the doubles point the Aztecs were unable to maintain a lead in singles and fell 4-2 to the Toreros.
Doubles continues to be the Aztecs’ strength early on in the season as they captured Sunday afternoon’s point, marking the fourth-straight match SDSU has won the point. Similar to Saturday’s matchup vs. BYU, SDSU dropped the first doubles set on court two when seniors Jana Buth and Paola Diaz fell, 6-3, to USD’s Nicole Anderson and Daniela Morales, but junior Jenny Moinard and sophomore Mia Smith notched a 6-4 victory over Maria-Paula Torres and Sophia Chow in the No. 1 seed. Freshman Nnena Nadozie and junior Magda Aubets also claimed a 6-4 win on court three over Gemma Garcia and Carolin Nonnenmacher.
Though SDSU entered singles with the doubles point advantage, the team dropped its first two singles matches as Aubets fell to Morales, 6-1, 6-3, in the two seed and Nadozie was unable to find a rhythm against Torres, losing 6-3, 6-0 on court five to bring the dual score to 2-1 USD.
The Aztecs slightly bounced back with a close, competitive match on court four as Diaz fought to claim a two-set victory over Garcia, 7-6 (2), 6-4, but the Toreros quickly pulled back into the lead after Kati Kukaras claimed a 6-2, 6-4 win over SDSU’s Moinard in the three seed.
Play on courts one and six stretched on as both matches went to a third set. Mulbarger bounced back to win her second set after dropping the first, but was unable to finish against Nonnenmacher (2-6, 7-5, 2-5) because USD clinched the dual in the top seed with Anderson’s three-set, 3-6, 6-1, 6-4 victory over SDSU’s Buth, handing the Aztecs their second loss at home.
With today’s dual, the Aztecs notch their fourth straight doubles point, sixth total of the season.
The 5-3 Aztecs round out a six-match home stand next weekend as they face USC on Friday, Feb. 16, at 2 p.m. and Cal Poly on Saturday, Feb. 17 at 11 a.m.
University of San Diego 4, San Diego State 2
Feb. 11, 2018
Aztec Tennis Center
1. Jenny Moinard/Mia Smith (SDSU) def. Maria-Paula Torres/Sophia Chow (USD) 6-4
2. Nicole Anderson/Daniela Morales (USD) def. Jana Buth/Paola Diaz (SDSU) 6-3
3. Nnena Nadozie/Magda Aubets (SDSU) def. Gemma Garcia/Carolin Nonnenmacher (USD) 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
SDSU wins doubles point
1. Nicole Anderson (USD) def. Jana Buth (SDSU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
2. Daniela Morales (USD) def. Magda Aubets (SDSU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Kati Kukaras (USD) def. Jenny Moinard (SDSU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Paola Diaz (SDSU) def. Gemma Garcia (USD) 7-6 (7-2), 6-4
5. Maria-Paula Torres (USD) def. Nnena Nadozie (SDSU) 6-3, 6-0
6. Abbie Mulbarger (SDSU) vs. Carolin Nonnenmacher (USD) 2-6, 7-5, 2-5, unfinished
Order of finish: 2, 5, 4, 3, 1*
* Match clinching victory