SDSU opens season with first dual match win
Photo courtesy goaztecs.com
January 21, 2018 (San Diego) - The San Diego State women’s tennis team opened its regular season Sunday at the Aztec Tennis Center where they put together an exciting 6-1 win over UC Riverside by claiming the doubles point and nabbing five of six singles matchups.
The afternoon began with a few highly contested doubles matches where the Aztecs ultimately coming out on top. Seniors Paola Diaz and Jana Buth were the first duo to claim a win as they took down Highlanders Sara Khattab and Tia Elpusan 6-3. Freshman Nnena Nadozie and junior Magda Aubets faced a close contest against Tracy Van and Kassie Truong, dropping the 7-5 decision to UCR. Sophomore Mia Smith and junior Jenny Moinard went back-and-forth in their match to eventually defeat UCR’s Chloe Pham and Natalie Penner 7-5 and claim the doubles point for the Aztecs.
SDSU established a dominant run in singles action beginning with the matchup between Diaz and UCR’s Pham, where Diaz owned court two with a 6-1, 6-1 win. Aubets was the next Aztec to put a point on the board with a solid 6-3, 6-1 victory over Khattab on the third court, and Buth cemented the SDSU dual win with a 6-3, 6-4 finish over Karla Dulay in the No. 1 spot.
On court four, Moinard continued the winning trend by running the table on Elpusa 6-3, 6-2, while Nadozie finished off Tracy Van on court five, 6-3, 6-0. UCR’s Penner claimed her team’s sole point with a close 6-1, 7-6 (5) decision over Smith in the six seed match.
Beginning the regular at 1-0, the Aztecs return to the Aztec Tennis Center next weekend, Jan. 27-28 with UCSD up first on Saturday and UC Irvine visiting on Sunday. Both matches are set to begin at noon.
San Diego State 6, UC Riverside 1
Jan 21, 2018
Aztec Tennis Center
1. Mia Smith/Jenny Moinard (SDSU) def. Chloe Pham/Natalie Penner (UCR) 7-5
2. Paola Diaz/Jana Buth (SDSU) def. Sara Khattab/Tia Elpusan (UCR) 6-3
3. Tracy Van/Kassie Truong (UCR) def. Nnena Nadozie/Magda Aubets (SDSU) 7-5
1. Jana Buth (SDSU) def. Karla Dulay (UCR) 6-3, 6-4
2. Paola Diaz (SDSU) def. Chloe Pham (UCR) 6-1, 6-1
3. Magda Aubets (SDSU) def. Sara Khattab (UCR) 6-3, 6-1
4. Jenny Moinard (SDSU) def. Tia Elpusan (UCR) 6-3, 6-2
5. Nnena Nadozie (SDSU) def. Tracy Van (UCR) 6-3, 6-0
6. Natalie Penner (UCR) def. Mia Smith (SDSU) 6-1, 7-6 (5)
Order of finish:
Doubles: 2, 3, 1
Singles: 2, 3, 1, 4, 5, 6