SDSU won the 4x400m relay
Photo courtesy goaztecs.com
May 11, 2019 (Clovis) - The Aztec track and field team took second place at the Mountain West Championships Saturday evening at Veterans Memorial Stadium in Clovis, Calif. The Aztecs have finished third or higher in each of the last seven years.
The Aztecs closed out the night by winning the 4x400m relay. The group of Sakura Roberson, Lisa-Anne Barrow, Jalyn Harris and Nyjari McNeil finished in 3:35.02, the sixth best time in school history. This is the second straight year the Aztecs have won the 4x400m relay.
SDSU had five athletes earn medals in addition to their 4x100m relay team, which took third. Callista Fletcher (200m), Jalyn Harris (400m) and Maya Brosch (400m hurdles) earned silver medals and freshmen Nyjari McNeil (800m) and Nia Collins each took third.
Fletcher finished the 200m dash in 23.32, which is a new PR for the sophomore and the sixth best time in school history. Fletcher also took fourth place in the 100m dash with a time of 11.53.
Harris, a sophomore, set a new PR in the 400m dash and has now finished in the top three in the 400 in each of her four Mountain West Championships. Lisa-Anne Barrow finished fifth in the 400 with a time of 55.29.
Brosch and Collins finished in second and third in the 400m hurdles. Brosch beat the PR she set Friday evening with a time of 1:00.24 and Collins clocked in at 1:01.90.
McNeil finished in third in the 800 after finishing in 2:05.27, which is second best time in program history and reset her freshman record. Sakura Roberson also set a new PR with a time of 2:08.30, good for fourth place.
The Aztecs streak of three straight MW outdoor championships in the 4x100m relay was snapped after SDSU took fourth. The team of Callista Fletcher, Jalyn Harris, Bonnie Draxler and Danae Dyer finished in 45.25, good for third place.
Freshman Danae Dyer finished in fourth in the 100m hurdles (13.59), fifth in the 200m dash (24.09) and ninth in the 100m dash (12.04).
Freshman Erica Grotegeer took fourth in the discus throw after a throw of 175-00 (53.33m), which was a new PR for her and No. 7 in school history.
Mountain West Championships – Day Four
Clovis, Calif. – Veterans Memorial Stadium
Team Scores (Top Five)
1. Colorado State – 159.5
2. San Diego State – 121
3. UNLV – 99.5
4. Nevada – 78.5
5. Boise State - 75
Top Finisher & SDSU Results
100m Dash Finals (+0.7)
1. Jerayah Davis (Wyoming) – 11.35
4. Callista Fletcher (SDSU) – 11.53
9. Danae Dyer (SDSU) – 12.04
200m Dash Finals (+0.9)
1. Jessica Ozoude (CSU) – 23.13
2. Callista Fletcher (SDSU) – 23.32 – PR, No. 6 all-time at SDSU
5. Danae Dyer (SDSU) – 24.09
1. Lauren Gale (CSU) – 53.18
2. Jalyn Harris (SDSU) – 54.31 – PR
5. Lisa-Anne Barrow (SDSU) – 55.29
1. Avi Tal Wilson-Perteete (UNLV) – 2:03.56
3. Nyjari McNeil (SDSU) – 2:05.27 – PR, No. 2 all-time at SDSU, SDSU Freshman Record
4. Sakura Roberson (SDSU) – 2:08.30 – PR, No. 9 all-time at SDSU
100m Hurdles Finals (+1.5)
1. Destinee Rocker (CSU) – 13.05
4. Danae Dyer (SDSU) – 13.59
1. Karoline Sauer (Nevada) – 59.94
2. Maya Brosch (SDSU) – 1:00.24 – PR
3. Nia Collins (SDSU) – 1:01.90
1. Colorado State – 44.12
3. San Diego State (Fletcher, Harris, Draxler, Dyer) – 45.25
1. San Diego State (Roberson, Barrow, Harris, McNeil) – 3:35.02 – No. 6 all-time at SDSU
1. Ja’la Henderson (Wyoming) – 42-07.50 (12.99m)
7. Hannah Taylor (SDSU) – 38-11.75 (11.88m) - PR
1. Shadae Lawrence (CSU) – 213-05 (65.05m)
4. Erica Grotegeer (SDSU) – 175-00 (53.33m) – PR, No. 7 all-time at SDSU
13. Cari Acosta (SDSU) – 148-02 (45.16m) – PR
Jordyn Bryant (SDSU) – Foul
1. Alexandra Bohlman (Nevada) – 148-11 (45.39m)
14. Jordyn Bryant (SDSU) – 119-10 (36.54m)