By Miriam Raftery
May 3, 2014 (Deerhorn Valley) – A 17-month-old child was bitten three times in the abdomen by a rattlesnake yesterday afternoon while playing in on a patio at a home near Barrett Lake in Deerhorn Valley.
NBC reported that the incident was reported at 4:20 in the 20000 block of Manzanita Way. The Deerhorn Valley Antler indicated that Mercy Air flew out of the area at approximately 5 p.m. with the young patient on board. The child was taken to Rady Children’s Hospital.
Fortunately, the toddler is recovering, according to his older sister , Jessica Taylor. She posted on the Deerhorn Valley Facebook page this morning that her brother is being treated with anti-venom and is expected to be fine. She added, “He’s a tough little guy!”
A neighbor told 10 news that the child’s family was from Oregon and new to the area.
Antler editor Kim Hamilton said having a young child bitten by a rattlesnake is “a worst-fear for most of us up here” due to long distances to medical aid.
Snakes have also taken a toll on the pet populaton locally. “My neighbor lost her terrier to a bite from a large (8 rattles) snake on Easter Sunday. There have been a lot of dogs bitten,” Hamilton said, adding that snakes are out earlier than usual this year, which has been unseasonably warm. “We’ve had two already—and haven’t yet done the big mowing.”
If you live in the unincorporated areas of San Diego County and want help to remove rattlesnakes, you can call Animal Services 619-236-2341.
Snakes prey on rodents, so removing places that attract mice and rats, such as uncovered woodpiles, can help lessen the odds that snakes will take up residence in your yard.
If you see a rattlesnake, back away calmly. Bites are rare, but if you are bitten, call 911 immediately since prompt administration of anti-venom is key.
For more information on how to avoid snakebites and what to do if you are bitten, visit http://www.eastcountymagazine.org/watch-rattlesnakes-temperatures-climb.