SDSU drops five of six singles matches in loss to Trojans
Photo courtesy goaztecs.com
February 17, 2018 (San Diego) - The San Diego State women’s tennis team started its day off strong claiming the doubles point but ultimately lost speed in singles against USC, falling 5-2. Today’s loss is the third straight for the Aztecs.
The Aztecs got off to a successful start by claiming the doubles point, notching wins on courts two and three. USC’s No. 26 duo Rianna Valdez and Angela Kulikov proved dominance on court one, defeating junior Jenny Moinard and sophomore Mia Smith, 6-2. On court three, junior Magda Aubets and freshman Nnena Nadozie never gave up a lead and topped Madison Westby and Constance Branstine, 6-4. In the final match, seniors Jana Buth and Paola Diaz maintained their advantage in a tight set against Gabby Smith and Becca Weissmann, ultimately claiming a 7-6 (4) win in the match.
Despite a solid doubles performance, the Aztecs slowly started losing steam in tough singles matchups. Freshman Abbie Mulbarger faced a challenge on court six against Constance Branstine, dropping a 6-2, 6-2 decision. The Trojans picked up another two match points on court three as Diaz dropped her decision 6-3, 6-4 to No. 102 Valdez, while Aubets fell 6-2, 6-3 to Weissmann.
On court five, Nadozie dropped her first set but came from behind in set two to force a seven-point tiebreak in set two, but ultimately dropped her match 6-4, 7-6 (5) and USC clinched the day’s dual.
SDSU got its first singles break of the day in the fourth seed as Jenny Moinard nabbed a three-set victory over Madison Westby, 6-4, 4-6, 6-3. Despite Buth’s hot start vs. No. 23 Smith, she ultimately dropped her second and third sets to go 6-3, 1-6, 6-3 in the match.
With today’s dual, the Aztecs notch their fifth straight doubles point, seventh total of the season.
The 5-4 Aztecs finish off a six-match home stand Feb. 17 when they face Cal Poly at 11 a.m.
USC 5, San Diego State 2
Feb. 16, 2018
Aztec Tennis Center
1. #26 Rianna Valdes/Angela Kulikov (USC) def. Jenny Moinard/Mia Smith (SDSU) 6-2
2. Jana Buth/Paola Diaz (SDSU) def. Gabby Smith/Becca Weissmann (USC) 7-6 (7-4)
3. Nnena Nadozie/Magda Aubets (SDSU) def. Madison Westby/Constance Branstine (USC) 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
SDSU wins doubles point
1. #23 Gabby Smith (USC) def. Jana Buth (SDSU) 3-6, 6-1, 6-3
2. Becca Weissmann (USC) def. Magda Aubets (SDSU) 6-2, 6-3
3. #102 Rianna Valdes (USC) def. Paola Diaz (SDSU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Jenny Moinard (SDSU) def. Madison Westby (USC) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
5. Angela Kulikov (USC) def. Nnena Nadozie (SDSU) 6-4, 7-6 (5-5)
6. Constance Branstine (USC) def. Abbie Mulbarger (SDSU) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 6, 3, 2, 5*, 4, 1
* Match clinching victory