Aztecs post perfect score against the Sea Lions
Photo courtesy goaztecs.com
February 5, 2018 (San Diego) - The San Diego State women’s tennis team kicked off its week strong, toppling Point Loma Nazarene, 7-0, Monday at the Aztec Tennis Center. With the perfect finish, the Aztecs now sit at 5-1 on the season.
SDSU was able to quickly secure the doubles point with wins in all three matchups. Freshman Nnena Nadozie and junior Magda Aubets were first to finish, dominating with a 6-0 win over Michelle Torres and Nicole Camaratta in the No. 3 seed. Senior duo Jana Buth and Paola Diaz ruled court two with a 6-1 finish over Shelby Groeneveld and Ellie Gamble, while junior Jenny Moinard and sophomore Mia Smith continued the winning trend for the Aztecs by finishing 6-3 over Nikki Newell and Carolina Cueva Bucio.
Singles play was no different for SDSU where Nadozie quickly secured a 6-1, 6-1 victory against Torres on court five, while Moinard took control over Gamble, 6-2, 6-2, in the fourth seed. For a consecutive match, freshman Abbie Mulbarger clinched the win for the Aztecs with her 6-2, 6-1 decision over PLNU’s Camaratta on court six.
The Aztecs continued their winning trend on courts one through three as Buth took down PLNU’s No. 1 player Newell, 6-1, 6-4, while Aubets managed a 7-5, 6-1 victory over Cueva Bucio in the second seed. The match on court three was pushed to a 10-point tiebreak after Diaz and her opponent Groeneveld split the first a second sets, but Diaz finished on top, 7-6 (3), 4-6, 10-5.
The 5-1 Aztecs are set to continue their six-match home stand this weekend where they’ll face BYU and University of San Diego on back-to-back days. SDSU takes on the Cougars Saturday and the Toreros Sunday, with both matches set for noon at the Aztec Tennis Center.
San Diego State 7, Point Loma Nazarene 0
Feb. 5, 2018
Aztec Tennis Center
1. Jenny Moinard/Mia Smith (SDSU) def. Nikki Newell/ Carolina Cueva Bucio (PLNU) 6-3
2. Jana Buth/Paola Diaz (SDSU) def. Shelby Groeneveld/ Ellie Gamble (PLNU) 6-1
3. Nnena Nadozie/Magda Aubets (SDSU) def. Michelle Torres/ Nicole Camaratta (PLNU) 6-0
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
SDSU wins doubles point
1. Jana Buth (SDSU) def. Nikki Newell (PLNU) 6-1, 6-4
2. Magda Aubets (SDSU) def. Carolina Cueva Bucio (PLNU) 7-5, 6-1
3. Paola Diaz (SDSU) def. Shelby Groeneveld (PLNU) 7-6 (7-3), 4-6, 10-5
4. Jenny Moinard (SDSU) def. Ellie Gamble (PLNU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Nnena Nadozie (SDSU) def. Michelle Torres (PLNU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Abbie Mulbarger (SDSU) def. Nicole Camaratta (PLNU) 6-2, 6-1
Order of finish: 5, 4, 6*, 1, 2, 3
* Match clinching victory