Hantavirus

BRUSH MOUSE TESTS POSITIVE FOR HANTAVIRUS IN JULIAN

By Gig Conaughton, County of San Diego Communications Office

Photo:  Brush mouse, Peromyscus boylii

October 3, 2019 (Julian) - A brush mouse collected in routine monitoring in Julian has tested positive for the potentially deadly hantavirus, prompting County officials to remind people to never sweep or vacuum up after rodents if they find them in their living spaces.

DEER MOUSE IN WARNER SPRINGS TESTS POSITIVE FOR HANTAVIRUS

By Gig Conaughton, County of San Diego Communications Office

August 2, 2019 (Warner Springs) - A deer mouse trapped during routine monitoring in Warner Springs has tested positive for the potentially deadly hantavirus, leading County officials to remind people they should never sweep up or vacuum up after rodents if they find them in homes, garages, sheds and cabins.

THREE DEER MICE TEST POSITIVE FOR HANTAVIRUS

 

Three deer mice collected in routine monitoring in Boulevard have tested positive for the potentially deadly hantavirus, County Vector Control said this week.

County officials said it is not uncommon to find hantavirus in wild mice throughout the county, but it is generally unlikely for people to come into contact with hantavirus if they keep wild rodents out of their homes, sheds, garages and workplaces.

HANTAVIRUS FOUND IN EAST COUNTY RODENTS

 

By Miriam Raftery

February 28, 2018 (San Diego) - County health officials are warning that 16 mice have tested positive for hantavirus, or about  5 percent of all wild mice tested. One meadow vole also tested positive for the disease.  The infected rodents were found in Borrego Springs, Boulevard, Julian, Ramona, San Diego, Santa Ysabel, 4S Ranch and Black Mountain.

DEER MICE TEST POSITIVE FOR HANTAVIRUS

 

By Gig Connaughton, County of San Diego Communications Office

January 19, 2017 (Jamul) - Three wild deer mice caught in routine trapping in a rural area in Jamul have tested positive this week for hantavirus — the first to test positive for the potentially deadly virus in San Diego County in 2017.

MOUSE IN CAMPO TESTS POSITIVE FOR HANTAVIRUS

December 6, 2012  (Campo)--A mouse trapped in Campo during routine monitoring has tested positive for the potentially deadly hantavirus, officials from the San Diego County Department of Environmental Health said Thursday.

County officials said it was normal to find rodents carrying hantavirus in San Diego County, but that they rarely posed a threat to people if they remained in the wild. However, they said people should protect themselves whenever cleaning up after rodents if they found them in their homes or on their properties.

MOUSE FOUND NEAR HOMES IN ALPINE TESTS POSITIVE FOR HANTAVIRUS


County Urges Residents to Use Caution When Cleaning Up Rodent Droppings;

Video Provides Tips for Homeowners


January 20, 2011 (Alpine) -- A wild deer mouse trapped in Alpine during routine monitoring has tested positive for the potentially deadly hantavirus, San Diego County vector control officials said today.

 

MOUSE AT MT. PALOMAR CAMPGROUND TESTS POSITIVE FOR HANTAVIRUS

 

County Urges Campers and area residents to Use Caution

 

August 16, 2010 (Palomar) -- A wild brush mouse trapped in Fry Creek Campground on Mt. Palomar tested positive for the potentially-deadly hantavirus during routine monitoring, San Diego County Vector Control officials said today. Nineteen mice have tested positive for Hantavirus this year countywide.

 

5 WILD MICE TEST POSITIVE FOR HANTAVIRUS IN SAN DIEGO COUNTY

 

 

January 13, 2010 (San Diego) -- County Vector Control officials confirmed today that five wild mice trapped during routine monitoring tested positive for Hantavirus.

 

“As the weather cools, rodents will begin to seek shelter indoors. It is important to keep mice out of houses, garages and sheds to prevent infection.” said Jack Miller, Director of the County Department of Environmental Health. “People contract Hantavirus by inhaling the virus, often when they are cleaning up rodent droppings and nesting materials. Wet cleaning methods should be used to prevent inhaling the virus.”