Shockey Fire

KIWANIS JOINS EFFORT TO HELP SHOCKEY FIRE FAMILY

Donations needed to repair trailer for winter

November 26, 2012 (Jacumba) – Kiwanis Clubs in Campo and Crest have joined forces to assist a family with a two-year-old child.  The family, who lost their home in the Shockey Fire, has been living in a temporary arrangement but was able to purchase a fifth-wheel trailer thanks to community donations.

More funds are needed, however, since the trailer needs “much repairs and appliances” before the family can call it home this winter in an area tha receives snow, says Lorrie Ostrander of Jacumba, who has been coordinating relief efforts for the fire victims. 

ECM READERS COME THROUGH TO HELP SHOCKEY FIRE VICTIMS

Cooking items, sheets still needed

November 10, 2012 (Jacumba/Boulevard) – Lorrie Ostrander, who has been coordinating efforts to help families who lost homes in the Shockey Fire, has sent the following letter thanking ECM readers for your generosity.  While many needs have been met, some remain. Please read her letter below, and help if you can.

“WISH LIST” FOR CHILDREN AND FAMILES WHO LOST HOMES IN THE SHOCKEY FIRE

November 2, 2012 (Boulevard) – Thanks to our generous readers who helped raise several thousand dollars plus supplies to benefit 11 families who lost homes in the recent Shockey fire.

“So many wonderful people are out there with wonderful caring hearts,” Lorrie Ostrander, who organized a fundraising event for fire survivors told ECM.  Some fire surivors are now placed in old trailers donated and others are on the Campo reservation. "A home is what we make of it and for now they are thankful for life,” said Ostrander, adding that items needed most now are cooking utensils, curtains, towels, bedding, dishes and toys. 

She also offered this “wish list” for the kids for Chirstmas:  a girl's bike for a 10 year old, sports items for a boy, 9, who lost his baseball bat, ball, football and basketball, and a motorized toy truck for a 2-year-old whose treasured truck was lost to the flames.

ROMNEY: DISASTER RELIEF FOR HURRICANE VICTIMS IS “IMMORAL"; CALLED FOR FEMA TO BE PRIVATIZED

Obama to Governors in path of Hurricane Sandy: "We will be there...making sure that we've got the best possible response."

By Miriam Raftery

October 28, 2012 (San Diego) – As Hurricane Sandy, one of the worst storms in memory, barrels toward the East Coast and wildfire season hits full stride here in San Diego's East County, voters should know that when asked about federal disaster relief at a debate among Republican primary presidential candidates, Mitt Romney called such spending “immoral.” 

HELP NEEDED FOR SHOCKEY FIRE VICTIMS AS WINTER APPROACHES

Fundraiser a success, but more help is needed:  “wish list” provided for families who lost homes

By Miriam Raftery

October 17, 2012 (Jacumba/Boulevard)—Ray Ritter, 2, and his parents are among nine families who lost everything in the Shockey Fire last month.  The home they were renting burned to the ground and they had no insurance.  But that’s just the latest in a string of tragedies for the Ritters.

“Dad died September 14,” Monica Ritter told ECM.  “His memorial service was Sept. 20 and on the 21st, our house burned down.”

ECM met the Ritter family at a fundraiser for Shockey Fire victims held last Friday at the Jacumba community center, where firefighters and community members turned out to raise $1,378.59.  The Buddhist Tzu Chi Foundation had already given over $3500 to the families during recovery after the fire—but now fire victims need additional help to rebuild their lives as the cold season draws near.

DISASTER RELIEF FOR SHOCKEY FIRE SURVIVORS: TIPS FROM THE TAX ASSESSOR

October 4, 2012 (San Diego) – County Assessor/Recorder/Clerk Ernest Dronenburg wishes to advise all property owners whose property was damaged or destroyed during the recent Shockey Fire that property tax relief is available. This tax relief program requires the reassessment of the property to reflect its damaged condition. The reduced value will remain in effect until such time as the property is rebuilt or repaired.

NEW TECHNOLOGY USED AT THE SHOCKEY FIRE

October 4, 2012 (Campo) – As CAL FIRE neared containment on the 2,851 acre Shockey Fire burning near the community of Campo in San Diego County, firefighters credited new technology in the success of the incident. For the past year, firefighters have been aided by the development of a new project called Next Generation Incident Command System, or “NICS”.  The new technology is funded by the Department of Homeland Security’s Science and Technology Directorate and developed by Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s (MIT) Lincoln Labs with major participation from CAL FIRE. Especially this year with the increased fire activity, CAL FIRE has been the perfect test bed for the new technology.

ILLEGAL SHOOTING SUSPECTED AS CAUSE OF SHOCKEY FIRE CAUSE

Six wildfires earlier this summer in East County were caused by target shooting

By Miriam Raftery

October 1, 2012 (San Diego’s East County) – Cal Fire investigators have pinpointed the origin of the Shockey Fire to an area where illegal target shooting was taking place on state land near Shockey Truck Trail, Mike Mohler of Cal Fire informed ECM today.

Investigators are not yet certain that shooting caused the fire, but if so, the shooter could be held liable for damages including loss of 11 homes and death of an elderly resident, Mohler confirmed in an exclusive interview with ECM. Cal-Fire urges anyone with information on the Shockey Fire to call the Arson Hotline at 800-468-4408.

FUNDRAISER FOR FAMILIES WHO LOST HOMES IN SHOCKEY FIRE: FRIDAY, OCT. 12 IN JACUMBA

October 1, 2012 (Jacumba) – “There is hope for the families who were affected by the wildland fire,” says Lorrie Ostrander, who has been organizing a fundraiser to help the 11 families who lost their homes in the Shockey Fire.  “With the help of Alpine Albertsons, Jacumba Women's Club, Jacumba Lounge, Manzanita Diner and other local residents, we are having a dinner." Donations will benefit the families who lost everything, she added.

The benefit dinner will be held on Friday, October 12 from 4-8 p.m. at the Jacumba Highland Senior Center, 44681 Old Highway 80 in Jacumba 91934.  A $5 donation at the door is requested.  

Donations can also be sent to:  

NEW COUNTY MOBILE APP A MUST IN EMERGENCIES

September 28, 2012 (San Diego) – You don’t know where you’ll be when the next wildfire or other major emergency hits San Diego County. But this week’s destructive Shockey Fire is our latest reminder that emergencies do happen here.

Starting today, you can download SD Emergency to your iPhone, iPad or Android phone or tablet to get critical emergency information wherever you are. The app is designed to keep residents and their families informed and safe throughout events likely to affect the region, such as wildfires, or potential threats, such as damaging earthquakes or terrorist events.

FIREFIGHTERS ATTAIN 95% CONTAINMENT ON SHOCKEY FIRE; COUNTY LOCAL ASSISTANCE CENTER OPENS TODAY

September 26, 2012 (San Diego’s East County) – The Shockey Fire is now 95% contained.  The fire, which claimed the life of an elderly resident in the Tierra del Sol area of Boulevard, a community founded a century ago for railroad workers. 

After conducting an assessment in the area, Cal Fire has confirmed 11 homes burned and 14 outbuildings, with two additional structures damaged. That’s an improvement over earlier Cal Fire estimates, which had indicated 20 homes and 15 outbuildings were believed lost. In addition, 11 vehicles have been destroyed and two firefighters were injured.

READER'S EDITORIAL: SHOCK, CONDOLENCES, AND PRAISE FOR EVENTS AND EFFORTS DURING THE SHOCKEY FIRE

By Ed and Donna Tisdale, Morning Star Ranch, Tierra Del Sol (Boulevard)

September 25, 2012 (Boulevard)-- As long-term residents of the Tierra Del Sol area of Boulevard (not Campo as so many reported), our family is shocked and saddened at the loss of life, homes, treasured possessions and memories, historic Hi Pass, pets, wildlife, ancient oaks, and fragrant old growth chaparral that will take years to recover.

Our condolences and prayers for strength go out to our friends and neighbors who have suffered during the swift and horrific events surrounding and following the Shockey Fire.

SHOCKEY FIRE LOCAL ASSISTANCE CENTER OPENS WEDNESDAY

Survivor Resource Center at Jacumba Library Will Be Open through Saturday

A Local Assistance Center (LAC) for residents who suffered losses in the Shockey Fire will be open starting Wednesday at the Jacumba Library, 44605 Old Highway 80, 91934.

The Assistance Center will be open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sept. 26, 27, 28 and 29. It is open to anyone who lost a home, suffered property damage or is otherwise impacted by the Shockey Fire. The site will assist residents with information, basic needs, and referrals to programs and services.

AMERICAN RED CROSS CONTINUES SHELTER OPERATIONS FOR RESIDENTS DISPLACED DUE TO SHOCKEY FIRE



Red Cross will also join partners at County's Local Assistance Center Wednesday

September 25, 2012 (San Diego’s East County)--In response to the Shockey Fire, American Red Cross disaster workers are continuing shelter operations at Mountain Empire High School located at 3305 Buckman Springs Road, Pine Valley, 91962.

The Red Cross will also be joining the County’s Local Assistance Center (LAC) for residents who suffered losses in the fire. The LAC will open beginning Wednesday, Sept. 26, at the Jacumba Library located at 44605 Old Highway 80, 91934. It will be open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sept. 26, 27, 28 and 29.

SHOCKEY FIRE 55% CONTAINED; RESIDENTS TO BE ALLOWED INTO BURNED AREA THIS EVENING

September 25, 2012 (San Diego’s East County)—The Shockey Fire has scored 2,850 acres and is now 55% contained, Cal Fire reports.  There has been one injury to a firefighter as well as the death of an elderly resident reported yesterday.  Twenty homes have burned, all in the Tierra del Sol area of Boulevard, as well as 15 outbuidlings. Another 10 structures were damaged by the fast-burning wildfire.  About 25 residences remained threatened this morning. 

Damage assessment is now being conducted by authorities. The objective today is to continue to build containment lines on the northern and southern flanks. At 6 p.m. today, the evacuation order for Tierra del Sol will be lifted and residents only will be allowed to return, with ID.

BODY FOUND IN RUBBLE OF HOME BURNED IN SHOCKEY FIRE

Fire has scorched 2,450 acres and is now 40% contained, 25 homes still threatened in Tierra del Sol area. View map of fire

By Miriam Raftery

September 24, 2012 (Boulevard) –A charred body has been found  at the burned residence of an 82-year-old disabled man, who did not leave despite reverse 911 calls made in the area advising residents of mandatory evacuation orders.   Neighbors told ECM news partner 10 News that deputies and firefighters were searching for Carson Robinson, who  was missing after the Shockey Fire roared through his neighborhood on Tierra del Sol Road in Boulevard.

“It’s extremely prudent upon homeowners to definitely heed the warning and exit the premises as quickly as you can,” Cal Fire Captain Richard Cordova told ECM, indicating that this tragedy may have been preventable. 

SHOCKEY FIRE: REPORT FROM THE FIRE LINES

By Nadin Abbott

September 23, 2012 (Campo)-- On arrival at the Golden Acorn Casino, a plume of smoke rose in the distance.The wildfire, named Shockey Fire by CAL-Fire, was making swift progress east towards Jacumba. Some residents forced to evacuate were looking on, concern etched on their faces, as the thick billows rose into the sky.

HUNDREDS OF FIREFIGHTERS BATTLE BLAZE AS DARKNESS FALLS

Update 12:10 a.m. September 24 -- Due to the wildfires, all schools in the Mountain Empire Unified School District will be closed on Monday Sept. 24.

Update 11:45 p.m. – The Shockey Fire has swelled to 2,000 acres and is 10% contained, Cal-Fire Battalion Chief Mike Mohler advises.  Evacuation advisory for Jacumba; structure threat and evacuations continue for Boulevard and Tierra del Sol communities. Numerous structures are damaged or destroyed; Southwest power grid is also threatened. 

SHOCKEY FIRE TOPS 1,000 ACRES: FOUR HOMES BURNED

September 23, 2012 (San Diego's East County)Update 5:10 p.m. - The Shockey Fire has topped 1,000 acres, IPN reports. Numerous outbuildings have burned, Cal Fire confirms. Scanner traffic now indicates that at least four homes have burned in the Tierra del Sol area.

SDG&E reports that the Shockey Fire has left 183 customers without power in Live Oak Springs, Boulevard and Jacumba. Powerlines have burned and some lines are down.

Jewel Valley is under mandatory evacuation orders following earlier evacuations of 77 homes in Tierra del Sol. 

The Evacuation Center has been changed to Mountain Empire High School, 3305 Buckman Springs Road.     If you need help evacuating large animals, call 619-767-2675 or 619-236-2341.

EYEWITNESS ACCOUNT OF FIRE IN BOULEVARD

By Miriam Raftery

September 23, 2012 (Boulevard) – Boulevard Planning Group Chair Donna Tisdale has provided ECM with a dramatic eyewitness account of the Shockey Fire, which started on the Campo Reservation just west of her home in Boulevard.  Power and phone lines have burned down, she reports, adding that the area has no cell phone reception. 

“A Deputy showed up to warn us and recommended evacuation.We stayed and the fire raged through parts of our Morning Star Ranch and our son's property next door. Together we have over 300 acres--much now looks other worldly, stark and smoldering,” wrote Tisdale, who sent photos taken from her property.

HIGHWAYS OPEN, FIRES 100% CONTAINED IN CAMPO AND RANCHO BERNARDO; FIREFIGHTERS STILL BATTLE JULIET BLAZE

October 14, 2008, 11:00 p.m. -- All major highways in San Diego County are open tonight.
The Juliet Fire, which burned 3,980 acres in the Oceanside area after spreading from Camp Pendleton, is now 60% contained and evacuation orders in Fallbrook have been lifted. The Shockey Fire in Campo is 100% contained after burning 200 acres. A small fire in Rancho Bernardo has also been extinguished. A red flag alert for high fire danger remains in effect through 10 p.m. Wednesday night.